Wired Problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Wired Problem

Postby alsahmut » 17. June 2010 16:25

Hey,

i think its more a network problem then a apache problem but i dont know where to post that. I have registert an dynamic dns domain at no-ip.com. Then i have configured my FritzBox for this domain and did forwarded port 80. Evrything works fine because i can ping the domain and the global ip. So now i start my Apache and type in the dynamic domain in my browser but nothing happens. This also happens when my neighboor wants to acces the page. But when somebody from an other city or region is accesing the dynamic domain they get the page in no time with no problem.

Can somebody tell me whats the problem and how i can fix this???
alsahmut

Re: Wired Problem

Postby Nobbie » 17. June 2010 16:40

This is a well known problem of some routers, that you cannot reach the server inside your lan via public IP. In that case, use the local WAN IP (like 192.168.*.*) for accessing the server from inside the LAN. For ease of use you may edit the hosts files (on all LAN PCs) and apply the same domain name (from no-ip.com) to your xampp server:

192.168.xxx.xxx myserver.no-ip.com

This overrules the remote DNS Server of no-ip.com for your local PCs.
Nobbie

Postby alsahmut » 17. June 2010 16:43

But why cant i access the page from any other place in my town but from any other place in an other town?

to specify my problem:

i have running an apache on port 80 and a tomcat v.6 on 8080. Some Guys can access http://webmbhkw.no-ip.org:8080/webMBHKW/ and some guys not.
alsahmut

Postby Nobbie » 17. June 2010 17:16

alsahmut wrote:But why cant i access the page from any other place in my town but from any other place in an other town?

Aargh - it is because as it is because.

The basic problem is that most routers can be configured via HTTP and if you enter the IP of the router (inside your LAN) you receive the configuration menu (and not the Xampp server!). When you enter the IP from outside your LAN, your never receive the configuration page.

Your router somehow "mixes" up the two requests (show the config menu - or show Xampp Server) when called from INSIDE the LAN.

This *may* be an explanation for your problem - but it may also be wrong. It is a known router problem.
Nobbie

Postby alsahmut » 17. June 2010 17:22

But the port 8080 has nothing to do with the xampp but with the excluded tomcat server. People inside my town dont get an reply but people from other regions get an reply.
alsahmut

Postby Nobbie » 17. June 2010 19:13

alsahmut wrote:But the port 8080 has nothing to do with the xampp but with the excluded tomcat server.

And port 8080 has nothing to do with your first post and tomcat has nothing to do with your first post.

I give up. Good luck.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows