Portable Xampp

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Portable Xampp

Postby yaxar » 13. June 2010 04:43

how do i make xampp portable on mac i heard that you could make a symbolic link

i uses mac os x only with guest prividligis

thanks in advanced
Last edited by yaxar on 27. February 2012 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
yaxar

Re: Portable Xampp

Postby Nobbie » 13. June 2010 09:55

You need root privileges for that.
Nobbie

Postby yaxar » 14. June 2010 06:39

so i cant run Xampp as portable ?
or is their another way?
if i ant i guess i will have to try to compile all of that stuf my self :(
yaxar

Postby dickbronder » 16. June 2010 11:31

I have the same problem. I have root privileges and can't get XAMPP to work on any portable device. So if anybody has a solution, please.... :D
Grtz Dick
dickbronder

Postby yaxar » 23. June 2010 11:58

Do i really have to compile all the stuff myself?????????

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEz if you know anything about it answer

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEz
yaxar

Postby MegaChriz » 23. June 2010 12:29

I'm not sure, but I don't think it is possible to install XAMPP on another disk. XAMPP needs to be installed on the startup disk. I believe many of the XAMPP paths are 'hard-coded'. So, if you move XAMPP to another folder it will complain it can't find file '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/...'.

There are other possibilities to travel with your websites, though. You can make use of virtual hosts to point to a folder on an other location of the disk. I've no experience yet with pointing to files on another disk, but in http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41004&start=0 it's discussed. The only bad thing is that you can't carry your databases this way, but a solution for that would be to use (or write) a PHP-application that regular makes backups of your databases and stores them together with the webfiles. You could even write/use another PHP-application that automatically will detect new backups made on an other location and restores everything when needed.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby yaxar » 28. June 2010 02:29

but since i use mac os x with only guest privideleces and you need xampp installed for that and since i only use guest privedlejes i can't install it
yaxar

Postby Nobbie » 28. June 2010 21:24

yaxar wrote:but since i use mac os x with only guest privideleces and you need xampp installed for that and since i only use guest privedlejes i can't install it

Why cant you use root priviliges?
Nobbie

Postby yaxar » 01. July 2010 09:14

because i don't have a computer myself :)

i use guest side on other people's computers
yaxar

Postby MegaChriz » 02. July 2010 08:12

With only guest privileges you are unable to use XAMPP.

You should ask to the other people if you may have temporary root privileges. If they don't want you install anything on the computers, you can try one more thing. This might work if all the computers have the same system. For example, if all have an Intel Mac, you could install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on your own disk. When done go to system preferences -> startup disk and select your disk. Restart Mac and you will startup from your own disk. Now you have root privileges, you can install XAMPP. And you won't install anything on other's computers! When you're done, you should set the startup disk back to the original one.
On most macs with the same architecture (Intel) you will be able to startup from your disk, but it's no guarantee that you can startup every Mac with it.
For you begin, you must be sure Mac OS X can startup from your disk, not all disks are able to do that.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS