Couldn't install XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Couldn't install XAMPP

Postby Princess » 27. May 2010 18:52

Hello,I have a problem about installation of XAMPP 1.6.0a..
I had the installer from the book that I bought yesterday.
When I install XAMPP 1.6.0a, I have a problem that said "apache couldn't be install" so I think there was a crash between XAMPP installer with my program in my computer. But I don't know what the program that crash. I still run XAMPP control panel and I choose start to apache and mysql so status of apache and mysql were running. But, when I go to Internet Explorer and write http://localhost/, there was a white screen without any writing. What must I do to solve the problem? Please help me... :?:

Thanks before... :D
Princess

Re: Couldn't install XAMPP

Postby JonB » 27. May 2010 19:41

A - What versions of Windows?

B - It would probably be best to download the most current version of XAMPP, that way you have the most 'fixes' and updates.

C. - Are you running Skype by any chance?

Good Luck, Princess (my favorite nickname)

:mrgreen:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Princess » 28. May 2010 05:06

I use Windows XP.

What the most current version of XAMPP? Because when I searching, I always find XAMPP version 1.7.3 but appearance when I install it doesn't match with appearance when I install XAMPP version 1.6.0a.. I didn't found XAMPP version 1.6.0a.

I don't running the Skype by any chance..

When I install XAMPP version 1.7.3, there was a problem almost finish.
Should I add shortcuts to the startmenu /desktop? (y/n): y

I write "y" but the shortcuts remain can't show in my desktop.

Then,
Failed to create COM object 'UScript.Shell' : The specified module could not be found in C:\xampp\setup_xampp.bat on line 263

What's the solution to solve my problem??

Thanks... :lol:
Princess

Postby JonB » 28. May 2010 12:05

The latest XAMPP is 1.7.3

Yes, it looks different than 1.6.0.a - it is different,

- It looks like at least one file might be corrupt.

Failed to create COM object 'UScript.Shell' : The specified module could not be found in C:\xampp\setup_xampp.bat on line 263

If that is the exact error, then at least the file 'setup_xampp.bat' is probably corrupt. Line 263 actually tries to create the object 'Wscript.shell' (invokes the Windows Script Host).

I would recommend you delete/uninstall XAMPP first. Then get a fresh download, and check the MD5 checksum before you install. The checksums are given right along with the downloads. This ensures your download was good. You'll need to Google for an MD5 checksum program for XP and install one. This is an easy one I have used: http://www.winmd5.com/

Download XAMPP from
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Princess » 28. May 2010 17:09

I already ever uninstall XAMPP and I download again from web address which you refer. I download XAMPP 1.7.3 Basic package and I also download MD5 checksum and unzip it. I already check XAMPP 1.7.3 that I download in MD5 checksum too. Then, I get current file MD5 checksum value. After that, I install again XAMPP 1.7.3 but the problem that I had before occur again. So what's the problem? You said "check the MD5 checksum before you install. The checksums are given right along with the downloads. This ensures your download was good." However I didn't know the file which I download was good or bad. How I can compare the result after download and before?

When I check again the checksum of the file which I download from the web address which you refered, the current file of MD5 is "3635a1c0baf15e8a019009e6c1225389" but its original checksum value is "944a1e869969dd8a4b64ca5e6ebc209a", so the result isn't matched. I got the original file MD5 checksum value from the website (http://www.winmd5.com).

Thanks..
Princess

Postby JonB » 28. May 2010 20:52

Hi

I just got a download and it extracted correctly. You accidentally got a checksum for the WinMD5Free archive, not XAMPP. I don't think that is the issue.

Please check this line in setup_xampp.bat

$WshShell = new COM('WScript.Shell', null, CP_UTF8);

and tell me exactly what it says in your copy right now...

Also please tell me, what is the native Character set of your Windows XP?

Thanks

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby bristols » 08. November 2010 15:57

I have the same problem.
Code: Select all
Failed to create COM Object 'Wscript.Shell': invalid syntax in c:\xampp\setup_xampp.bat on line 263

Must XAMPP use WSH to install? Can we bypass WSH and install it another way? Here is why I ask this: I'm trying to install XAMPP on a slimmed-down version of Windows 2000. I have removed components from Windows 2000 deliberately (using a project called HFSlip), for a faster and smaller system. Is there any way I can install XAMPP without having to install WSH?
bristols

Postby JonB » 08. November 2010 17:10

Did you use the installer or the ZIP file?

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#521

Good Luck
:roll:
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby bristols » 08. November 2010 21:27

I tried both the installer and the ZIP file. Both gave me the same error message.

Thanks for wishing me luck, but do you have any ideas? Any way to either rewrite, circumvent or do the installation in another way?
bristols

Postby JonB » 09. November 2010 02:15

The Good Luck was not flippancy - its how I have been closing support posts for years on a variety of forums. If I wish to be sarcastic 'rolling eyes' is added. My question was 100% legit, you didn't say you had tried both methods.

As it happens, I do have an idea amd a bit of knowledge on this. The Control Panel in 1.7.3 is not completely configurable, so in your scenario there will be a need for some workarounds. That said - the unzipped version of XAMPP 'plunked' into a c:\xampp folder should work without configuration I think. You will just have to forgo the use of some of the utilities. All the binaries run from the Command line, so as long as you are willing to live with limited flexibility in automating tasks, XAMPP should work. I think the Control Panel should work as well, but some options won't. ALL of XAMPP is controlled in the end by all that myriad of batch files.

You might want to read this -
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38496&p=160648&hilit=+ini+control+panel#p160648

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows