XMAPP Control Panel Defaults -- How to change?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XMAPP Control Panel Defaults -- How to change?

Postby RiRL » 17. December 2009 01:55

Hey, Apache Friends of XAMPP,

I have had to change all the default port numbers for XAMPP components (for example, Apache).
Now when I use the XMAPP Control Panel admin functions, it tries to open the admin pages (or what not)
using the assumed default.

Is there a way to configure the port number (say) used by the XAMPP control panel when it creates
the URL for the particular admin function?

For example, to get to the apache admin page I would need to use, say http://localhost:85/xampp (I have a VoIP program
running over Apache at port number 80, the default). But the URL produced by the XAMPP control panel is
http://localhost/xampp (or more fully, http://localhost:80/xampp).

Please note I have XAMPP Apache working fine I the revised port (85) as per the instructions of the particular component (again, say Apache).
My questiony then is how to tell the XMAPP control panel these overriden URL (rather than the defaults).

Regards
RiRL

Re: XMAPP Control Panel Defaults -- How to change?

Postby Izzy » 17. December 2009 02:06

At this stage in development it is not possible for an end user to change the hard coded details in the XAMPP Control Panel as the source code has not been made available by the XAMPP developers.

What VoIP software are you using and is it not possible to have it use another port other than 80?

Otherwise I am afraid that to access the link used by the Admin... button in the XAMPP Control Panel you will have to type the URI manually.
Izzy

Postby RiRL » 20. May 2010 18:17

I've been working around the problem every other day (when I am remote) by manipulating the http configuration file for Apache.

We are using Cisco IP Communicator, what I'd call a major player, no?
I am unable to have that port changed as it would require a reconfiguration of 1000's of desktops and multiple
enterprise servers in the company, not to mention firewall holes, and stuff.

I am not sure how (or if) I can make a suggestion for an enhancement to the XAMPP control panel program
1) Read all the properties (such as port numbers and things) from a properties files, xampp.properties.
2) When the application starts up, it reads the properties from the file, and uses these, rather than a hardcode.

This would allow the use of resources to be configurable, while maintaining the availability of the xampp control panel.

Seems straight forward enough to me. Then again, I have no idea about the nature of the code for the control panel, or
other impacts. Generally, as a senior software developer I've learned over the years to externalize all settings, because
you just cannot assume configuration settings in an enterprise context. (Everyone wants to use port 80)
RiRL

Postby BigWetDog » 20. May 2010 18:43

I was expecting Oswald to make an announcement regarding the release of the xampp_*.exe code earlier this week, but I have heard nothing yet. See this thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38880.
Right now the only way you can do what your asking is with a hex editor. In your favourite hex editor open up xampp-control.exe and look for:
PORTS...80..EXIT
Change 80 to 85 (or whichever port you've configured apache to listen on) and off you go.
I agree with your suggestion in part. What I'd like to do is see the xampp_cli and/or the xampp-control written in such a way that it reads it's configuation from an txt file (ini or xml) with standardised elements.In that way you could role your own module (like say CruiseControl.net or the current release of tomcat, or as in your case a customised installation of Apache HTTPD, and the control panel would then know about the app and would then just dynamically render the screen widgets to enable management/administration.
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 21. May 2010 15:25

RiRl,
I did some digging into the old source code for 2.5 xampp_control.exe and it turns out that it was written to process an optional xampp.ini file. I tested it and the behaviour has been retained in the current release.
Simply create a file xampp.ini. In it put the following:
Code: Select all
[PORTS]
apache = 80
mysql  = 3306

the values of course should be set to what ever you require. I've verified that these values work. I'm still looking into the full options available for inclusion.
BigWetDog

Postby BigWetDog » 21. May 2010 16:33

I'm still trying to figure out what each of the values represent but here is the full format of the xampp.ini with default values:
Code: Select all
[START]
hide   = 0
apache = 0
mysql  = 0
filezilla = 0
mercury = 0
tomcat = 0

[EXIT]
apache = 0
mysql  = 0
filezilla = 0
mercury = 0
tomcat = 0

[PORTS]
apache = 80
mysql  = 3306
filezilla = 21
mercury = 25
tomcat = 8080

[XAMPP]
setup  = 0

[PHP]
extension_dir = 0
BigWetDog

Postby JonB » 21. May 2010 20:33

this is PURELY a personal opinion.

Wouldn't it make sense to virutalize some environments in an operation that size?

:?:

I agree totally that open configuration files are the way to go for almost anything as long as you also secure them afterwards.

Sometimes the correct solutions for complex problems lie in the IP architecture and proper infrastructure.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby MC10 » 23. May 2010 01:57

I don't think the "Admin" buttons work, even with a xampp.ini. They are hardcoded into the control panel source.
MC10

Postby BigWetDog » 23. May 2010 03:53

The defaults are hard coded yes, but xampp-control still parses xampp.ini if it's present. So for the original poster's problem, adding the entry for apache in the ports section along with change he'd already made to his httpd.conf, clicking the [admin] button, will open the browser to http://localhost:85/xampp.
BigWetDog

Postby Slipaway » 06. July 2010 02:08

Has anyone been able to get the latest XCP "2.5.8/2.6" versions of XCP source code?

Could someone please post the latest XCP 2.6 source code, and make the XCP source code publicly available?
Slipaway

Postby Slipaway » 07. July 2010 08:49

Carsten Wiedmann's Facebook contact information seems to be here:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Carsten- ... 1041688727

Carsten Wiedmann's Twitter account seems to be here:
http://twitter.com/c_wiedmann/status/3171942973

Maybe someone can ask him nicely for the source code for the latest XCP updates, and ask him to please post them here in the forum. It would really help if we had the source code, and could write up some proper documentation on the XAMPP Control Panel.

I'd like to make some minor modifications and updates of my own, but it's difficult to do when the source is not posted anyone or available to the public.

It would be good to have the latest XCP source code updates posted to the forum and the SVN. At least we could write some proper documentation on the XCP, and keep updated documentation available in the forum and SVN as well for users looking for help and looking to modify the XCP for their own personal use.
Slipaway

Return to XAMPP for Windows