XAMPP shared with Windows

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP shared with Windows

Postby tampe125 » 20. May 2010 12:02

hi, even if i can code, i'm completely new with linux.
until now, i have used XAMPP under Windows, now i'd wish to try it under Linux.

i know i can copy the htdocs and mysql folder into a new fresh Linux installation, but i'd wish to be able to use XAMPP with Windows AND Linux.
So there is a way to have 2 XAMPP, but both reading the same data?

i hope i made the point.

thanks in advance
tampe125

Re: XAMPP shared with Windows

Postby Nobbie » 20. May 2010 23:50

>So there is a way to have 2 XAMPP, but both reading the same data?

Of course, simply mount the Windows Filesystem (which holds Xampp) somewhere into your Linux and change the linux Xampp configurations files to point to the mounted Windows files (for example DocumentRoot in httpd.conf and MySQL data folder in my.cnf).
Nobbie

Postby tampe125 » 21. May 2010 08:26

hi, thanks, i'll try it ASAP.

btw i created a soft link to the windows htdocs directory under the Linux one, but it doesn't work.
So the only correct thing is to mount the directory folder?
there is no way using a soft/hard link?

thanks in advance
tampe125

Postby Nobbie » 21. May 2010 10:26

tampe125 wrote:So the only correct thing is to mount the directory folder?
there is no way using a soft/hard link?

Of course there is a way using soft/hard links - you are mixing up some things obviously.

You can use links instead of modifying the configuration files, but you MUST mount the filesystem anyway - how will you put a link to a destination that is not mounted? And dont simply mount the directory folder (thats not what i have written), mount the whole filesystem which holds the Xampp directory.

And you cannot use hard links (only soft links, also called symbolic links), because hard links work only within the same partition, and i assume, that your linux and your windows are installed on different partitions.

The biggest challenge of this job is to grant the sufficient rights to the mounted files, because Apache (and MySQL) runs with a certain UserID and needs sufficient rights to access the files (as well as for MySQL, which needs to modify the databases). You have to edit and modify the /etc/fstab configuration file properly.
Nobbie

Postby tampe125 » 21. May 2010 12:03

first of all: thanks for the help.
it could seem a stupid thing, but you're not forced to do that so: thanks again.

well, i should have the Windows directory mounted. Infact i can see it inside the /media/ directory (it's in the D:\ partition).
so am i good with the 'mount thing'?

i have created a soft link from Wind to Linux; i can see everything, files, directories etc etc, but if i browse to my localhost address i get a 'Page not Found' Apache error.

So what should i do now?
Am i missing something?
tampe125

Postby Nobbie » 21. May 2010 22:20

tampe125 wrote:So what should i do now?
Am i missing something?

I have no idea, you did not provide any information about your (linux) Xampp configuration. "I have created a soft link from WInd to Linux" is a rather poor description.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux