Apache & Tomcat

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache & Tomcat

Postby designermonkey » 17. May 2010 10:23

Is it possible to run Apache and Tomcat together?

I have installed xampp, and then installed the Tomcat addon that is available. Can I not use Tomcat on one port (8080) and also Apache on another (80)? Every time I try and start Apache as a service, it fails. I don't know what to expect with this, but I need to ba able to use Apache for most dev projects, but I also have a dev project that needs tomcat.

Really stuck here...
designermonkey

Re: Apache & Tomcat

Postby BigWetDog » 17. May 2010 13:51

First, take a look at your \xampplite\apache\logs\error.log to determine why apache won't start, and verify that it has anything to do with your tomcat installation.
Second, if the tomcat installation was the problem, then it was likely due to the fact that the mod_jk configuration. I've seen several instances where the paths get written incorrectly. If you don't need the Apache/Tomcat connector (i.e. mod_jk) then in your httpd.conf file comment out the loading of mod_jk like so:
#Include "/xampplite/tomcat/conf/mod_jk.conf"

At that point you should be able to start both services independently.
BigWetDog

Re: Apache & Tomcat

Postby designermonkey » 17. May 2010 15:53

Thanks for your reply. It turns out it was a misconfiguration...

I had installed Apache to work without drive letters and then selected to use Apache as a service, which I have since found out you can't do. All fixed now...

Just have trouble with Virtual Hosts and networks now...
designermonkey

Return to XAMPP for Windows