Unable to upgrade plugins automatically via wordpress

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to upgrade plugins automatically via wordpress

Postby bjzdesign » 21. April 2010 15:23

Good day,

I have spent a good hour searching the forums for an answer to my problem, and have either missed it somehow, or was unable to understand the language. Either way, I apologize ahead of time if this was answered in another post.

Let me begin by saying, I have had no problem whatsoever using XAMPP up to this point. In fact, after using WAMP for several years and dealing with headache after headache, XAMPP is a welcome platform.

I am running a local installation of XAMPP 1.73 on a Macintosh running 10.5.8 and Wordpress 2.9. As I mentioned previously, everything works beautifully until I attempt to automatically upgrade a plugin or a theme. Since XAMPP does not require a password, I am not sure what credentials to use at the Connection Information page. Right now, Hostname is set to Localhost and Username to root. I have tried a few suggestions of using nobody and XAMPP for Usernames and Passwords, but nothing has worked thus far.

I realize I can simply download the update, however, when three or more plugins that need updating, it can take some time to preform, which kills me when I am charging my time.

Any help is most appreciated, and again, I sincerely apologize if this issue was resolved in another post.

Kind Regards,
Bryan
bjzdesign

Re: Unable to upgrade plugins automatically via wordpress

Postby caltuna » 22. April 2010 05:36

Have you tried using your admin account's user name and the Mac's system password for that account... the same ones used when you are asked via Software Update when you do Apple's updates?
caltuna

Postby bjzdesign » 22. April 2010 12:33

Hi Caltuna,

Thank you for the response.

I did try using my administrator credentials, but that did not work. I am assuming that hostname should be left at "localhost?"

Kind Regards,
Bryan
bjzdesign

Postby caltuna » 25. April 2010 04:23

Do you get an error message or does it just hang?

When I update WP on my server it sometimes takes over 5 minutes. I get a blank window after I click the submit button. Eventually the screen comes back with a "successful" message.

What do you get on your local Mac?
caltuna

Postby bjzdesign » 25. April 2010 12:08

Hi Caltuna,

Thank you for the reply!
Here are three screenshots documenting exactly what I am seeing. If you need a screencast, I will be more than happy to oblige; I just want to get this resolved.

-----------------------------

1 - Initial shot (in this example I am deleting a plug-in, however, updating anything including new versions of Wordpress or themes result in the same outcome)

2 - Connection information screen (never received this using WAMP)

3 - Error message (I have tried multiple passwords, and have even changed 'localhost' to my ip address with no luck)

I appreciate your time and effort with this problem, even if it never gets resolved, you are the only person so far that has responded on this and other forums.
Enjoy the day, and I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,
Bryan
bjzdesign

Postby MegaChriz » 26. April 2010 09:52

I'm not sure if I have the solution for your problem since I don't use Wordpress, but I know the FTP-user of XAMPP is by default 'nobody' with password 'xampp'.

By the 'Connection Information', try to fill in 'nobody' for 'Username' and 'xampp' for 'Password'. If that doesn't work, try to leave the 'Password'-field blank.
If that also doesn't work, you can try to use the username of your Mac account with it's password. I read you already tried this, but as username, did you use the 'short' username? I mean the name your home-folder has. In Finder you can see the short names of all accounts on your Mac at /Users/.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby bjzdesign » 26. April 2010 12:35

MegaChriz,

Many thanks for your reply, however, every suggestion you made, along with a few of my own, did not produce positive results. I have read on some other forums that the Mac platform is the only one without a workaround. I find it hard to believe that it is Mac specific, so onward I go to find a solution. The biggest mystery is why WAMP never had this issue (it had plenty of other issues), but XAMPP does?

If you come up with any more suggestions, please pass them along, and thank you once again for your post.

Kind Regards,
Bryan
bjzdesign

Postby itzjonas » 24. May 2010 21:27

For the hostname, use the name of your computer (you can find this in Sharing in System Preferences).
itzjonas

Postby bjzdesign » 24. May 2010 23:40

Thank you for the comments and suggestions, but I went back to MAMP, and everything is purring like a kitten. XAMPP needs to examine their product and head back to the drawing board.

This topic is closed.

Kind regards,
Bryan J Zimmerman
bjzdesign

Return to XAMPP for macOS