Directories,files and folders

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Directories,files and folders

Postby BillClark » 16. April 2010 19:17

Hi all and Altrea!

I am still having problems with finding and running the php files I make. I uninstalled and reinstalled apache and have the welcome page stating a successful setup. I made 1 file and saved it into htdocs then ran localhost/xampp/phpinfo.php and it worked. I then wrote helloworld.php and saved and ran it in the same manner. Here is the screen I get:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
localhost
4/16/2010 2:03:01 PM
Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong, is this a problem with Vista?
I feel it is a simple thing I'm missing but I just can't put my finger on it, is there a faq about where we should put our files. I took your suggestion Altrea and got the same message, "very frustrated, but I don't want to give up"!

Thanks again BillClark
BillClark

Re: Directories,files and folders

Postby memilanuk » 16. April 2010 20:07

It sounds like it should work... but just to be sure you're puting the right file in the right place and all...

Try creating another directory under htdocs, and call it 'test'.

Put your file in this folder.

In your web browser, enter 'localhost/test' in the address bar for the URL.

You should see a directory listing including your file 'helloworld.php'. Ideally you should be able to click on this link in your browser and open 'helloworld.php'.
memilanuk

Return to XAMPP for Windows