Allowing XAMPP intranet to access EXTERNAL sites

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Allowing XAMPP intranet to access EXTERNAL sites

Postby mhough » 12. April 2010 02:56

Hi,
I have setup XAMPP to host an wordpress intranet site for a Hospital department. I'd like to display local weather which requires it to fetch data from weather.com.

The widget is saying connection has failed. It is trying to connect to xoap.weather.com:80

I am able to browse to xoap.weather.com in a browser at the server, so I assume that the firewall settings are correct.

Also notice that wordpress is not able to display data from their pages either, like news and update info.

Not sure if this is a limit in xampp or the server or our outgoing firewall.. any ideas?\

Thanks Martin.
mhough

Re: Allowing XAMPP intranet to access EXTERNAL sites

Postby Nobbie » 12. April 2010 11:12

mhough wrote:I am able to browse to xoap.weather.com in a browser at the server, so I assume that the firewall settings are correct.

Why? A browser is quite a different software than an Apache server. The Windows Firewall does not block ports generally (or not), but grants access to certain software products. I guess, that your browser may access port 80 whereas Apache may not.

You should switch off the Windows Firewall for testing reasons (and may keep it switched off, as it's useless anyway, especially if you are using a router for your internet connection).
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows