XAMPP 173 + tomcat addon problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby echo9 » 21. January 2010 18:23

Hi guys!

ok..i will try to get it straight.

I had installed XAMPP v.1.7.3 on my windows 7 ultimate OS via the exe installer by running it as admin ("right-click >> run as administrator").

i had given all the default setup parameters while the setup_xampp.bat was executed.

& then i continued my installation process by installing tomcat addon (the latest version; downloaded right from the site: apachefriends.org)

setup then said that an update has been found.. etc.

i said yes and the updation process went further without any errors.

NOW the problem started when i choose to run tomcat (after tomcat i had to go on for executing apache i know :) by the way i had executed xampp control by running it as admin again~).

SO when i clicked on tomcat i got this error window:

window title: javaw.exe – ordinal not found

message: the ordinal 2502 could not be located in the dynamic linked library
LIBEAY32.dll

BUT when i clicked on apache it worked beautifully~ & mySQL too worked gr8! but now the tomcat thing was popping out an error and wasn't starting up!

when i googled the error message; I found nothing worthy.

i tried a lot of keyword combos and finally i got to know that if i copied the files: libeay32.dll & ssleay32.dll into c:\windows\system32\
from xampp\apache\bin directory or xampp\php directory (note that these files have file version 0.9.8.12 in both of these 2 mentioned directories!)
(whereas i checked out xampp\tomcat\bin directory and it had file version as 0.9.8.10 for both of the mentioned files!)

So finally i copied the above two files from xampp\php directory into c:\windows\sytem32 (replacing the original version of these 2 files having size: way too smaller than these! & thats not a problem~)

And to my surprise i can now start tomcat from xampp control window (xampp control being executed with admin rights)

BUT here comes the real prob: now I was unable to start apache from xampp control!

the xampp control din't gave me an error or something. whenever I tried to start tomcat from xampp control it first gave me the green highlighted message showing "running" & the button "start" was disabled

BUT after few seconds say after 2-3 seconds the message turned "stopped" and the button saying "start" also came up!

I again googled like anything..and got nothing~ :(

so i ran the setup and disabled "mod_jk" for just testing it out that whether it has something to do with this..

(
actually previously, after the problem given just above^ i ran into the logs & searched the following directories:

> xampp\apache\logs\error.log (gave me a directive to go through tomcat's log)

error message was:
[emerg] Error in creating the workers. Please consult your mod_jk log file 'C:/xampp/xampp/tomcat/logs/mod_jk.log'.

..(many same lines..)
..and the last line of the file said:
[emerg] Error in creating the workers. Please consult your mod_jk log file 'C:/xampp/xampp/tomcat/logs/mod_jk.log'.
Configuration Failed

> xampp\tomcat\logs\mod_jk.log (to my astonishment.. it was empty :!: :?: yup zero bytes~)
)

:idea: i figured out that if i could disable this module -> "mod_jk"

i can try running it again..
& thats what i did (i disabled it through xampp's setup) and voila! i made it yep~ both the tomcat and apache were up & running perfectly; i tried executing the examples too the tomcat ones..and they ran perfectly. 8)

but however i am left with a bundle of questions only you people can help me out with.

1> is disabling the "mod_jk" safe? i mean what effects will it have over my xampp + tomcat addon installation?? is there something extra that i will have to do while testing/deploying applications on tomcat or on apache or even on mySQL ??

2> is there any other work around to this problem??

3> have i discovered a BuG ? :)

4> any other suggestions..?

-----
PS: sorry from my side because first of all its too lenghty..(i know; couldn't write it in much better way. after all this is a forum; to help others in future is a must~)
and yea..i gave it some extra spacing for the sake of reading and i yup hehe.. :lol: i use lots of brackets (umm..for the sake of understanding..)

I by time of finishing this post have searched forums world-wide and what i feel is this problem had made some users (not many) go crazy~! :mrgreen:

Looking forward for an early reply,
Warm Regards,
echo9
echo9

Postby echo9 » 21. January 2010 18:36

and yea the most important piece of info, i had already used port check to check the free ports and all the ports were free! in perfect condition~

the main directory where xampp is installed:

c:\xampp\xampp\ (all_the_directories_of_xampp_here)

this structure was made by xampp's setup bat file by itself, it had relocated the folder while setting up xampp.

please do post back if anybody has a clue.. its really urgent :cry:
echo9

Re: XAMPP 173 + tomcat addon problem

Postby boyleje » 31. January 2010 17:57

I had the same problem on XP Home service pack 3. I had downloaded all the software from the 'apachefriends' web site. I tried the work-a-round and it worked just fine. I then tried re-enabling 'mod_jk' and everything still worked just fine.

After I had copied the dll's and disabled 'mod_jk', when I stared Tomcat for the first time, my firewall asked me if I wanted to unblock Tomcat, and I did. It was after this that I re-enabled 'mod_jk' and was able to start everything without error.

It's still very strange. Why should the dll's have to be copied? I didn't have either of these dll's in my win32 directory. Depending on how a system is configured and if I understand what I read on the Micorsoft website (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx), you might need to be careful about library search order. Why should 'mod_jk' have to be disabled (and then re-enabled) before everything would work correctly? Does the firewall have anything to do with this at all?
boyleje

Postby echo9 » 31. January 2010 20:28

boyleje wrote:I had the same problem on XP Home service pack 3. I had downloaded all the software from the 'apachefriends' web site. I tried the work-a-round and it worked just fine. I then tried re-enabling 'mod_jk' and everything still worked just fine.

After I had copied the dll's and disabled 'mod_jk', when I stared Tomcat for the first time, my firewall asked me if I wanted to unblock Tomcat, and I did. It was after this that I re-enabled 'mod_jk' and was able to start everything without error.

It's still very strange. Why should the dll's have to be copied? I didn't have either of these dll's in my win32 directory. Depending on how a system is configured and if I understand what I read on the Micorsoft website (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx), you might need to be careful about library search order. Why should 'mod_jk' have to be disabled (and then re-enabled) before everything would work correctly? Does the firewall have anything to do with this at all?

Thanks for replying :)

well I wasn't able to run it w/o disabling the module mod_jk.
yea..but I got good news
I was able to install both the xampp and its tomcat addon but it was xampp v.1.7.1 & its respective tomcat addon (tomcat v.6.0.18) :cry:

but still I love the new features that 173 has got! I can compromise the mod_jk part as long as I am able to code/test using this xampp + tomcat setup on my laptop :mrgreen:
echo9

Postby dano » 12. April 2010 03:37

I have the same problem, except that on one ancient lap top it works. (windows 2000) ( it has been on the net, but nothing else is allowed to go there)
I am finding here in the musem system that 7 different versions of libeay32.dll exist.

the question is ; how can we set the search path for tomcat and not the rest of the host machine?

At this state, currently, this means that the xampp is NOT fully transportable as it has a dependency on the host for critical files that may or may not function correctly.

The solution is to have the tomcat people to specify directly where to find the resource dll files, actually it will make the code a tad bit faster as well.

MY friend you have found a BUG !

thanks for the tip slash reminder.

I will go back and stuff the files into the last place I would have ever considered into system32.

regards
dan
dano

Postby echo9 » 06. May 2010 09:24

hey.. its good to hear that an annoying bug has been finally verified that must have left many people getting crazy about this setup (xampp + tomcat addon)

Cheers,
kanishk
echo9

Postby BigWetDog » 08. May 2010 19:41

In response to the orginal post:
1. yes, you can disable mod_jk. mod_jk is a connector that allows you to view tomcat hosted apps utilizing apache as a front end. The benefit of mod_jk is that you can expose all of your web applications (apache and tomcat) through port 80, thus reducing your server's attack surface. The caveat to this is that the xammp tomcat configuration isn't smart enough to disable tomcat on 8080 if you enable mod_jk, so you end up with both ports (80 and 8080) listening.
I recently submitted a patch to Apache that will correct the bug in the autoconfiguration routine in mod_jk which should correct the problem, if and only if apache friends updates the tomcat addin. But...
2. I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with mod_jk configuration, so you can configure it manually instead of relying on autoconfiguration which will not be supported in Tomcat 7.
3. So it is not so much a bug as a misconfiguration. I suspect the problem you had with libeay32.dll & ssleay32.dll may have been a side effect of this as you shouldn't have had to copy them to your system directory.
4. Read up on mod_jk apache connector, manually configure it, and disable autoconfiguration.

I run xampp off a 16gb USB flash drive. And have run it on many different windows hosts (xp/2000/2003/vista/2008/7) all with no issues once I reconfigured mod_jk
BigWetDog

Return to XAMPP for Windows