Question about Licensing / Repackaging

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Question about Licensing / Repackaging

Postby MisterK » 24. March 2010 21:47

I have a web-based software development project that I'm looking to do. Ideally, I'd like to re-package the xampp for windows utility and include a few additional perl libraries, some gnu utilities, and my own software. That way, I can hand over a thumb drive to a customer and allow them to get started with my software without having to go through a painful series of installs in order to get going.

I have no problem with making the original source available and leaving existing copyright/developers credit in place. My question is whether or not I am allowed by Apache Friends to do such a thing in general, or if this kind of practice is generally frowned upon (or even a clear violation of the license).

Of course, I'll read through the licensing files, but I thought I'd ask in here as a first step. My potential target market is very small (if it was a global success it would be maybe 5000 customers, more likely less than 20), and I would be charging for my software (not xampp, but for the code that I've written included as part of the package).

To be clear, I haven't even started looking into how to accomplish any of this.
MisterK

Re: Question about Licensing / Repackaging

Postby Nobbie » 24. March 2010 22:04

MisterK wrote:That way, I can hand over a thumb drive to a customer and allow them to get started with my software without having to go through a painful series of installs in order to get going.

And what about if the customer already has installed and configured (to its own needs) a full Xampp installation? Are you going to overwrite it, who cares....?
Last edited by Nobbie on 24. March 2010 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Nobbie

Postby MisterK » 24. March 2010 22:31

In that case, I'd simply hand over the necessary install for my required elements.

It's just that for many people that I end up working with (in mid-size business enterprises), getting a web server up and running turns out to be a project. Being able to install custom perl modules, another project. Setting up a custom application on that web server, a third project. If I can get them to a point where they can experience the software and see value quickly then I've gotten through two barriers that otherwise would have taken a great deal of time and effort to get past. Of course, I could have a demo up and running on the web, but if I can get it on their desktops where they can see what it's like with their data in their environment, I might actually be able to sell something.

I could have them install xampp, install some gnu utils, then go about installing my software - and that might actually be the preferred path for some people. I'm more looking at trying to help less technical people get to a starting point with as little pain and effort as possible.

It may be preferable to just wrap the installs of all the necesary software in a batch file or install script that calls them individually - but still the question exists - is it OK to redistribute, and is it OK to make changes to the default implementation as part of the redistribution.

I know there's a lot of repackaging/re-selling of open source products like openoffice and I don't want to come off like I'm doing that kind of thing. I want to do it right, give credit where credit is due, follow the licensing requirements, and not be in violation of any community standards that are not formally communicated. (In, I suppose, a similar manner in which apache friends has done with XAMPP)
MisterK

Postby memilanuk » 09. April 2010 23:14

I'm kind of curious about the same sort of thing. Not from a commercial standpoint, but for non-profit use.

I'm using XAMPP to learn PHP & MySQL, so I'm probably a good ways off from actually distributing anything, but one of the driving reasons behind me wanting to learn these things is to be able to create a 'web' application that could be run from a local installation (hard drive, usb stick) with users either directly on that machine, as well as from nearby computers - the volunteers tasked with doing this sort of data entry (score keeping for amateur sports) are frequently long on volunteerism, short on desire to learn how to setup a web/database server and then import the appropriate data files, set up everything, etc. Being able to send them a USB stick (or make a disk image available they could download and install to one) that has *only* what they need - Apache, MySQL, PHP and the necessary htdocs and database files to get started... would be very nice indeed.
memilanuk

Postby Narrowboyy » 10. April 2010 00:12

The question about licensing/repackaging has been officially addressed under the subheading The License, found here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Kai 'Oswald' Seidler the lead XAMPP developer and forum Administrator should be contacted if you have issues not addressed in The License section in the above link.
Narrowboyy

Return to XAMPP for Windows