How do I reset original settings for apache, php and mysql?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How do I reset original settings for apache, php and mysql?

Postby sergiozambrano » 08. April 2010 16:04

I tried putting back the backup copies of files I modified, but it didn't work.
How can I reset files to default for Apache, php and mysql on Leopard? (after trying out configurations for xampp leopard's mysql won't work.

And… if you know… in order to prevent it to happen again: Do you know what other files get modified by using (TRYING to use it, rather than using it) other than the following files?
config.inc.php
httpd-vhosts.conf
httpd.conf
php.ini
myusername.conf
hosts

Thanks.
sergiozambrano

Re: How do I reset original settings for apache, php and mysql?

Postby MegaChriz » 09. April 2010 10:29

Do you mean the files belonging to the XAMPP installation or the files belonging to the webserver that came with Mac OS X?

If you meant the XAMPP installation:
1. Stop XAMPP.
2. Set the files back. If you've not enough rights to do this, you probably get a warning that you are not allowed to modify the files. Is there a button 'Authenticate' available? If so, click on it and fill in username and password of an adminstrator account of your Mac. If the button does not appear, change the permissions of the etc-folder (File-menu > Get Info, section Sharing & Permissions) and give your self read & write permissions. Repeat this for every file you want to overwrite if you still can't overwrite the files.
Alternatively you can choose for 'Apply on enclosed items' by the etc-folder (click on the wheel icon in the Get Info window in the section Sharing & Permissions), but I'm not sure if this breaks something.
3. Start XAMPP.

I'm not sure if other files get modified after changing configurations in the etc-folder, but I think you won't get problems with that. It depends on how much your websites relies on particular settings.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Resetting files at Leopard's built-in apache

Postby sergiozambrano » 11. April 2010 00:09

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I meant files on Leopard's built-in apache. XAMPP is in a folder, and it'd be easier to reset the files, just by copying back the folder.
And by "other files that get modified" I meant "modified by other than me, e.g. the OS, XAMP, apache's server, etc. I do know what files I modified, but there's something else that changed I can't find.
sergiozambrano

Re: How do I reset original settings for apache, php and mysql?

Postby MegaChriz » 15. April 2010 09:19

I don't know much about the built-in webserver for Mac OS X. I know that on the root of the startup-disk there are some folders that are hidden by default. I believe that the config-files (like httpd.conf) should be in there somewhere. You can for example use Tinkertool to let Mac OS X show hidden files.

About other files that get modified I meant that in theory a webapplication can do particular things based on some settings of Apache. For example a webapplication could make use of human-readable URLS. But if you would change in the settings of Apache that the modrewrite-module may not be used, than that would break the functioning of the webapplication.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS