XAMPP/Apache not starting

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP/Apache not starting

Postby jamichelli » 06. April 2010 04:43

I'm running Windows XP SP3. I tried to install and run XAMPP 1.7.3. Seems like everything downloaded and installed fine, but upon trying to start Apache as a service from the Control Panel, it would show "started", but would not show a "running" status like the MYSql did.
I then read through a post of someone having a similar problem with this version, but not version 1.6.6a. So I uninstalled 1.7.3, installed 1.6.6a...still the same problem. Apache gets started, but does not run. When I try to open http://localhost/ in my browser, it's blank in FF and the 404 message in IE. Where do I start troubleshooting to get this up and running?
Thanks all.
jamichelli

Re: XAMPP/Apache not starting

Postby MC10 » 06. April 2010 04:56

Could you check the Apache error log and post its contents?
MC10

Postby Narrowboyy » 06. April 2010 05:41

jamichelli, best not to paste the whole contents of the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file as it can be a huge file, but only anything related to this issue that you can't figure out your self.

This not starting issue often means a conflict with another server occupying the ports that XAMPP\Apache requires.

Before trying to start Apache etc., run \xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe to see if there are any conflicts - all should be Free.

Skype is often favorite and only requires a configuration tweak in Skype to have it not use port 80 and port 443.

Also make sure that your firewall allows port 80 and 443 access.
Narrowboyy

Postby jamichelli » 06. April 2010 17:39

After taking a break and actually getting some sleep, I tackled it today and everything is in working order. Thanks for the suggestions!
jamichelli

Postby Narrowboyy » 07. April 2010 00:29

jamichelli wrote:After taking a break and actually getting some sleep, I tackled it today and everything is in working order. Thanks for the suggestions!
It helps others searching the forum for answers to similar issues as yours if you post back with exactly how you fixed things - which, if any, of the suggestions worked for you?
Thanks.
Narrowboyy

Return to XAMPP for Windows