Install XAMPP to different location

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Install XAMPP to different location

Postby retrib » 01. April 2010 21:06

Good day! I want to use XAMPP on my eee pc 900, but unfortunately it has only 4GB storage for OS. So I need to install XAMPP to different location instead of /opt (like /media/flash)

I checked configs and there is really a LOT of files to change.

Question is: Is there any way to make installation to another dir?
retrib

Re: Install XAMPP to different location

Postby Nobbie » 02. April 2010 13:17

retrib wrote:I checked configs and there is really a LOT of files to change.

It's not only a LOT of files to change, you simply cannot change it, as it is hardcoded in binary files as well.

retrib wrote:Question is: Is there any way to make installation to another dir?

Yes. Either mount the flash to /opt/lampp instead of /media/flash or simply create a symbolic link from /media/flash to /opt/lampp. After then you can run Xampp from /opt/lampp as if it were installed there.
Nobbie

Postby retrib » 02. April 2010 14:28

I tryed the symbolic link, XAMPP starts normally, but MySQL fails to load with warning. solution with chmod 444 from this topic viewtopic.php?p=96666 do nothing.

Code: Select all
max@dragons-eeepc:~$ sudo chmod -v 444 /opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf
mode of `/opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf' changed to 0444 (r--r--r--)
max@dragons-eeepc:~$ sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start
Starting XAMPP for Linux 1.7.3a...
XAMPP: Starting Apache with SSL (and PHP5)...
XAMPP: Starting MySQL...
Warning: World-writable config file '/opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf' is ignored
Warning: World-writable config file '/opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf' is ignored
XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL!
XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...
XAMPP for Linux started.
max@dragons-eeepc:~$

I got NTFS on flash drive (for compatibility with windows). my.cnf is from default package.
retrib

Postby retrib » 03. April 2010 20:32

HAY GUYZ HELP ME WITH TEH PROBLEM PLEAZE111
retrib

Postby Nobbie » 03. April 2010 21:35

retrib wrote:HAY GUYZ HELP ME WITH TEH PROBLEM PLEAZE111

I would have helped you - but I hate shouting and crying posters.

You must mount your flash drive read/writeable in order to work with MySQL. NTFS usually is supported by Linux, if you have now idea how, ask in a Linux forum.
Nobbie

Postby retrib » 05. April 2010 00:32

But it is writeable already. How I suppose to install webserver if flash drive is read-only?
retrib

Postby Nobbie » 05. April 2010 20:47

retrib wrote:How I suppose to install webserver if flash drive is read-only?

If its read-only, its read-only. You cannot install a software which needs write access (like MySQL) if you cannot grant write permission. This is not a question of Xampp, its a question of Linux and your knowlegde about it.
Nobbie

Postby pavel_lishin » 28. December 2010 20:18

Are there any plans to making XAMPP more flexible in terms of install location? How much work would go into changing the way things are set up now?
pavel_lishin

Postby greno » 28. December 2010 20:38

This much work:

Put XAMPP anywhere you want.

Create a link from where you put XAMPP to /opt/lampp:
ln -s WHERE_YOU_PUT_XAMPP /opt/lampp

You're done.

-Gerry
greno

Postby pavel_lishin » 28. December 2010 21:25

greno wrote:This much work:

Put XAMPP anywhere you want.

Create a link from where you put XAMPP to /opt/lampp:
ln -s WHERE_YOU_PUT_XAMPP /opt/lampp

You're done.

-Gerry

Yeah, I found that solution while searching the forum and googling around. What if I don't want to touch the /opt/ folder at all?

I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing the design team, I'm sure they have a good reason for doing things this way (I'm betting because it was an easy way to make sure that it worked on nearly every distro).
pavel_lishin

Postby greno » 28. December 2010 22:16

Do you understand that when you configure|make|make install each application that you are setting HARD PATHS?

Do you understand things like LSB (Linux Standard Base)? Application files get placed into specific paths.

XAMPP chose /opt/lampp as the base of the installation. They had to pick some installation point. /opt/lampp makes good sense.

If you want to install XAMPP into some other installation path then go get the sources and reconfigure every 'configure' and Makefile to use whatever installation path you would like. But have fun supporting yourself when you have problems.

-Gerry
greno

Postby pavel_lishin » 28. December 2010 22:42

greno wrote:Do you understand that when you configure|make|make install each application that you are setting HARD PATHS?

Do you understand things like LSB (Linux Standard Base)? Application files get placed into specific paths.

XAMPP chose /opt/lampp as the base of the installation. They had to pick some installation point. /opt/lampp makes good sense.

If you want to install XAMPP into some other installation path then go get the sources and reconfigure every 'configure' and Makefile to use whatever installation path you would like. But have fun supporting yourself when you have problems.

-Gerry

Nope, I definitely don't understand. :)

The reason I'm asking about all of this is because I was assigned a project that uses xampp, and as a result, I'm having to install it a few times here and there, and I was basically asking out of curiosity. The fact that I don't really know what you're talking about is doing a pretty good job convincing me that I'm out of my league here, and should just shut up and accept things as they are, because they work just fine :)
pavel_lishin

Postby newbie2244 » 30. December 2010 21:09

Do you need to be on linux?

If not, and if you have a windows box, get xampp on a stick (sqlite version) and then you can just plug it into the windows box when you need to. Of course, in order to have access to your scripts, you need to use the same Windows box every time ot remember to explicitly save them to your flash drive. Keep that in mind.

4 GB is very small. But it is doable. But like everyone so far has pointed out, reconfiguring the way you suggested will be blood, sweat and lots of tears.

Good Luck! :o :shock:
newbie2244

Return to XAMPP for Linux