Suitable Hardware?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Suitable Hardware?

Postby mfrogg » 31. March 2010 15:21

my goal: I plan on hosting a small business website, that basically is a phonelog. My site will have it's own SQL database (or two?). The users will be able to generate merged PDF docs (i'm thinking Javascript to merge those) and potential word-documents. The webserver will also have to make mySQL calls to another database on another server.

I'm worried about hardware. I'm wondering if I should get a Dell and focus on 64 bit os/chipset, and get 4g mem, and run windows7 ultimate. Is this overkill? Is a quad-core cpu going to offer much better benefit over a 20 user site? What kind of hardware/software am I looking at for a small site?

Later, I intend to make a more public site where the genpop can request information, which requires more pdf merged files. If I get to this point, and decide to go with a beefier computer, is moving the 'site' as easy as copying over the xampp directories?

Suggestions? I'm hoping to keep costs down for the initial setup, and have a habit of going over-complicated and overboard. =/
mfrogg

Re: Suitable Hardware?

Postby CraigS » 31. March 2010 19:57

Way way overkill if you ask me. I used to run my site(s) with php on a p3 1.2ghz W/ 1 GB of ram. But i guess it all depends on what you will be doing. I upgraded to a Quad 2.8 Xeon and definitely notice the snappyness... but in all reality i got the server for free so.. i don't think i would have paid for the increased snappiness of loading dynamic php pages.

Pdf generation on the fly might put a strain on the server, but i doubt it will be constantly getting hit for pdf's from only 20 users. Secondly it depends too again on what kind of pdf's you are dealing with, if its 200+ page pdf's you users will definitely notice it. However if you have small infrequent usage you're fine to go lower budget.. Whats 2-3 seconds longer for pdf generation when it saves money?

Craig
CraigS

Postby mfrogg » 31. March 2010 20:28

I think I've decided I'd get a DualCore Athlon, 4g mem and am thinking of running Ubuntu Server, or Ubuntu 64, and using the Xampp flavor for nix.

For a back up routine, can I just copy the Xampp directory over to an external hdd and replace it if something goes south?
mfrogg

Postby CraigS » 31. March 2010 21:07

You certainly can! Thats what i do, i have my Xampp folder backed up automatically weekly, along with a mysql database backup nightly at low usage times.
CraigS

Postby samcrime786 » 29. September 2010 07:54

hi,
Acquiring a dedicated hosting server is a great step toward getting the most out of your website.Design flow for the identification and development of a suitable hardware platform for the protocol layer 2 in LTE terminals

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Earn an Extra $1000 to $1200 per month doing Part Time Data Entry Jobs! Work from home data entry jobs to post simple data submissions on Internet. Make $1 per entry. Easy form filling, data entry and ad posting jobs. No selling, No phone calls, No Marketing. No Investment. Bi-weekly payments. Full Training Provided. Pls visit: Data-Entry
samcrime786

Return to XAMPP for Windows