PROBLEM WITH PATH_INFO AND ORIG_PATH_INFO ON XAMPP 1.7.3a

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PROBLEM WITH PATH_INFO AND ORIG_PATH_INFO ON XAMPP 1.7.3a

Postby 2lip » 11. March 2010 14:10

Hi:

I have recently upgraded my Xampp installation from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3a. OS is Debian (Lenny). I'm currently running LimeSurvey with no problem. As far as I know LimeSurvey doesn't use url rewriting. I've been having serious problems getting concrete5 web cms (http://www.concrete5.org- version 5.3.3.1) to work with Xampp. I have followed their installation instructions. They have a script to check if all their requirements for concrete5 have been met on the AMP (Apache, MySQL and PHP) server. One of the requirements is that url rewriting must be enabled. I must add all other requirements have been met.

Despite including settings for url rewriting into the appropriate virtualhost section of httpd.conf, I am still getting PATH_INFO and ORIG_PATH_INFO error messages when trying to install concrete5.

I have Googled this problem extensively and found no solutions. I have searched the forums on concrete5's web site without success. I have also posted this issue on their forums and have received no replies to date.

When I set up a phpinfo.php page and add something like /yoohoo after the phpinfo.php in the url, I still get the phpinfo page with the /yoohoo page indicated as the redirect.

Here is the relevant virtualhost extract from my httpd.conf

Code: Select all
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName intranet.go
   ServerAlias intranet.go *intranet.go
   DocumentRoot /home/appollo/go_intranet
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI Includes
   AcceptPathInfo On
   ErrorLog logs/intranet.go-error_log
   CustomLog logs/intranet.go-access_log common
   RewriteEngine On
</VirtualHost>

I can't get the phpinfo.php that I referred to earlier in here in any sensible form, but it is available on request. I would really appreciate your help in assisting to get this problem resolved. Am I missing something somewhere with the configs of httpd.conf or php.ini, or is there a problem here with Xampp? My reasoning is that there shouldn't be problems with Apache or PHP as individual components, but I might be wrong.

It's been more than two weeks since I started the installation and I can't get past this impasse.

Eagerly awaiting your response!
2lip

Re: PROBLEM WITH PATH_INFO AND ORIG_PATH_INFO ON XAMPP 1.7.3a

Postby Nobbie » 11. March 2010 16:29

Edit /opt/lampp/etc/php.ini and search for the error_reporting setting. Change the setting to:

Code: Select all
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED

Restart Apache and install concrete5
Nobbie

Postby 2lip » 12. March 2010 12:57

Hi Nobbie:

Thanks for the response! I have amended the php.ini so that the error_reporting setting is as you suggested. Unfortunately, I still get the same message concerning concrete5's inability to parse PATH_INFO or ORIG_PATH_INFO information provided by the server.

Regards,

2lip
2lip

Postby Nobbie » 12. March 2010 17:39

On my Xampp 1.7.3a (running on Linux Mint) it installs flawless after i set error_reporting to the desired level. It took me five minutes to install Xampp plus concrete5.

Do you work with an unchanged php.ini from Xampp, or did you change some settings before? Try to use a completely new Xampp installation as i did.
Nobbie

Postby 2lip » 15. March 2010 13:17

Try to use a completely new Xampp installation as i did.

Hi Nobbie:

I've tried running a fresh install of Xampp 1.7.2 on a debian vm running in virtualbox over the weekend. I had no luck- the problem remains. Today at work I've set up debian on a spare pc here at the office and then installed xampp 1.7.3a on it. Prior to installing xampp, I ran apt-get upgrade & update. Also no luck here. I haven't touched the httpd.conf or php.ini on either machine.

Why not Mint Linux? Well, we have decided to run Debian for our Linux servers at the office, so I'm bound in that respect. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions. I find this quite odd. Nonetheless, in the meantime I'm going to go with installing a conventional AMP stack on the (debian) production sever. Pity about xampp though... Very slick otherwise.

Thanks for you help thus far!
Cheers!
2lip

Postby Nobbie » 15. March 2010 14:54

2lip wrote:I haven't touched the httpd.conf or php.ini on either machine.

If you do not change php.ini (as i suggested) you *must* receive tons(!) of warnings and notices when trying to start the concrete5 installation. Didn't you receive these messages?

Can you provide a link to your server with a phpinfo.php? If you can establish a ssh-Connection for me, i can try to find out directly, what's going wrong there. But without any interaction, it's very hard for me to "debug" the installation.

I dont think that either Linux Mint (a Debian based distribution) or Debian itself is responsible for the problems you have. It must be something in your PHP environment or similar.
Nobbie

Postby 2lip » 15. March 2010 15:44

If you do not change php.ini (as i suggested) you *must* receive tons(!) of warnings and notices when trying to start the concrete5 installation. Didn't you receive these messages?

Hi Nobbie:

Yip! With all the installs I get warnings for: C5 requested URL's (PATH_INFO or ORIG_PATH_INFO issue), Web server access to Files & Config directories, version comparison- (htmldiff.py must be chmod-ed). After I sort out all this, the only issue that remains is the C5 requested URL's (PATH_INFO or ORIG_PATH_INFO issue), which I cannot resolve.

I also find it strange that your install is OK under Mint but my problems persist under Debian even though they are closely related.

I'll set up the box tomorrow so you can access it.

Thanks for sticking with this!
2lip

Postby 2lip » 16. March 2010 11:02

I'll set up the box tomorrow so you can access it.

Nobbie, the box is set up for you to access. Check your private messages for info.
2lip

Postby 2lip » 17. March 2010 14:16

I'm glad to report a happy ending to my woes! Nobbie, I reloaded everything fresh and followed your instructions regarding the amendment of the php.ini file to the error reporting level that you specified. Obviously also followed concrete5 installation instructions. And voila! It works.

Big thanks to Nobbie for bearing with me!

Regards,

2lip :D
2lip

Postby Nobbie » 17. March 2010 15:13

2lip wrote:And voila! It works.

German "Redewendung" (saying): "Kaum macht man's richtig, schon funktioniert's."
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux