Trouble with Install

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Trouble with Install

Postby nellietjh » 05. March 2010 05:23

Hi there. I tried installing XAMPP today and I am having the same issue as others re: Apache not loading. MySql seems to start fine. I am a complete newbie and have tried several of the suggestions posted in other forum topics. Problem is, I have no idea what I am doing... just trying to follow the directions. I did notice that Port 80 shows as Process: System when I do a Port check. How can I tell what it is that is running? I also tried making an inbound and outbound firewall rule that allows Port 80 - though I am not sure that I did it right. I don't want to be messing around and leaving my computer vulnerable to viruses or intrusions, which I may well be doing, messing around where I have no business!

I did the cmd> netstat -aon | find ":80" and got the following:
TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0.0 LISTENING 4
TCP 192.168.0.66:57556 66.220.145.11.80 TIME_WAIT 0
TCP [::]:80 [::]:0 LISTENING 4

This means nothing to me so any advice is appreciated.

I had the following from my log file (condensed as they all said the same thing):
(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs
(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
Unable to open logs
(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
Unable to open logs
Unable to open logs
Unable to open logs

I got the following info from the host file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
nellietjh

Re: Trouble with Install

Postby nellietjh » 05. March 2010 05:25

Sorry - my previous post was giving me trouble. If you have any suggestions on what I should do / undo (especially after messing around with my Firewall in Microsoft and the Network settings in Kaspersky, I would be immensely grateful. No doubt, I am in over my head. Thanks!
nellietjh

Return to XAMPP for Windows