Mecury Webserver....

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mecury Webserver....

Postby DrivingManiac » 10. May 2003 02:22

I'm still using the basic setup webpage that's provided with WAMPP. I'm trying to figure out the SMTP before I proceed any further. I keep getting a bind while running Mercury. I send a SMTP email via postmaster@localhost to DrivinManiac@hotmail.com for testing purposes, and I CONTINOUSLY get the error:
"Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'hotmail.com'."
I've gone to the pegasus webpage and found NOTHING on this error, and did countless times of searching around. As for information about my computer. It's a Windows XP, with a 1.4 ghz proc, 512 mb ram, so I'm certian it's not hardware based. I don't have a router, and as much as I shouldn't give this info out, don't have a firewall either. My site is at http://vicweb.ath.cx and it's up and down whenever I'm here. I'm still using a fresh configuration of WAMPP, so I don't know what's going on right now.
I do want to give a thanks to those who helped build such a product, I realize it's potential is tremendous. I wouldn't be surprised if apachefriends went big. ;-) If I don't get a response, well so be it. I realize most of you are non-english speaking anyways... which isn't anything bad. :-) Just wanted to say thanks, and to see what help I might be able to get!

-Vic-
DrivingManiac

I can help just only with my experience

Postby chanio » 23. May 2003 08:04

Hi, I am also very happy with this distribution.
I have been searching for Mercury, and found that Pegasus newsgroups speak more about Mercury that any other thing.
Haven't you try to define in simple words what is your problem, and search with Google. The have acquired what was some time ago a very good Newsgroup transcription Deja-News...

Hope it helps!
:roll:
Gallactic Firewall
chanio

Postby Guest » 26. June 2003 07:01

wonder why you use mercury??
the mail server is no longer developt.
it's counting its days to inexistance...

arent any better mail server?
any mail server porting from linux world?
qmail??exim??

Re: Mecury Webserver....TRY THIS ADDRESS...

Postby chanio » 28. June 2003 17:09

DrivingManiac wrote:...I'm trying to figure out the SMTP before I proceed any further. ...
"Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'hotmail.com'."
I've gone to the pegasus webpage and found NOTHING on this error, and did countless times of searching around. As for information about my computer. ...
-Vic-

Please, try this address to find your SMTP address...
http://www.xav.com/mx_lookup.pl You must write down your email address, and see what is your smtp host. Next just copy these results to your Mercury server.
Hope it helps! :wink:
:PAlberto
Gallactic Firewall
chanio

Postby DrivingManiac » 29. August 2003 20:03

Even that doesn't help me. I've got the newest version now and it's freaking confusing as to why Mercury doesn't forward the emails to actuall email accounts! I can recieve the email in the program but not anywhere else. It has that "resolution" error still. It sucks ass.
DrivingManiac

Postby Pc-dummy » 30. August 2003 03:22

@ DrivingManiac

First: sry for my very bad english!

Nemesis has made a xmail-addon for "Xampp for Windoof" i think its a very good Mail-Server and you can find a lot of Free Documents!

If you want to have a Mailserver you must! have a MX-Record (Mail Exchange DNS-Record) or your MailServer won't work correctly!

If you need any Help by configuring the Xmail-Server ask us or look at this page:

http://www.xmailserver.org

With Friendly Greets
Pc-Dummy
Gentoo/X86_64, AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1,5 GB INFINEON Ram, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, 300 GB Platten, LG-DVD Brenner
Pc-dummy
AF Moderator

Postby DrivingManiac » 30. August 2003 22:45

... MX Mail Record. *ponders for a second* Nope.
DrivingManiac

Re: Mecury Webserver....TRY THIS ADDRESS...

Postby exidous » 05. December 2003 04:35

Please, try this address to find your SMTP address...
http://www.xav.com/mx_lookup.pl You must write down your email address, and see what is your smtp host. Next just copy these results to your Mercury server.
Hope it helps! :wink:

do you think you could elaborate on this a little for us? because im haveing the same problem here and its been really pissing me off for days trying to configure this thing.
exidous

mx record

Postby MAGnUm » 06. December 2003 14:15

to have a working mail server you need what is called a MX record A.K.A. a mail exchanger record. this allows mail clients and smtp serves to find that you have a mail server on your end of things. to get a mx record you will either need a domain name like wwwdomain.com and once you register there are settings in there that let you set up a mail server (if you want a domain name cheep i would go with http://www.godaddy.com, no i dont get anything for this!) if you dont want a domain name you can go with http://www.noip.com and it works the same way with the mx record.
~~:M A G n U m:~~
(Disclaimer: if any of this info is confusing or vague tough, its free!!)
MAGnUm

Postby Kroesss » 18. December 2004 18:42

OK, I'm probably doing something very wrong here, but I can't even find the place where I should enter the MX-servername in Mercury...
Kroesss

Postby taustin » 20. December 2004 18:51

Anonymous wrote:wonder why you use mercury??
the mail server is no longer developt.
it's counting its days to inexistance...

That is entirely untrue. David Harris just released a bug fix a couple of weeks ago, and is currently finishing up testing a new level release, with quite a few improvements.

It is actively supported, and acitvely under development, and there is no reason to expect that to change.
taustin

Postby taustin » 20. December 2004 18:59

Are you getting an MX error only on hotmail.com, or on all outgoing mail? Try sending a message to a different address and see if you get the same error.

The MX record is the domain name record that indicates where email should be sent for a given domain (or subdomain). You'll get MX record errors for two reasons: the owner of the domain you are sending email to has messed up the records, or the machine looking it up (the one running Mercury) is messed up. Given that your example seems to be hotmail.com, I'm guessing it's probably a problem with the machine running Mercury.

Mercury relies on Windows to do DNS lookups (which includes MX lookups). Check your TCP/IP settings, and see if you have DNS servers entered. (If you don't know how to do that, let me know what version of Windows you're using, and I'll post instructions.) I've seen problems with Mercury not playing well with DCHP settings, so it might be as simple as manually entering in DNS server IPs. On the other hand, there is only one reason to do MX lookups, and that's to send email direct and bypass your ISP's mail server. It's something that spammers do - a lot. So some ISPs go to considerable lengths to prevent their customers from bypassing their SMTP servers. It is plausible they have set up their DNS servers to refuse to do MX lookups for customers. You might be able to bypass that by using a different DNS server (or setting up your own), but if they're doing that, they're probably blocking all DNS queries to anywhere but their own servers.

You may have to call your ISP's tech support and ask them if they are blocking stuff like that. If they are, and are unwilling to unblock for you, you can set up the MercuryC Relaying Client, which will accept email, then relay it to your ISP's mail server for final delivery.
taustin

congratulations, this node is starting the second year

Postby chanio » 27. December 2004 04:11

:lol: Hi,
This is a long term node. That is because the subject is far away from our actual reaches.
In first place, perhaps, it's because of your hotmail account.
I have heard that hotmail translates their requests to more than 2 servers (in secuence). Then it should be easier to try other normal email addresses.
You should try another free email account.
The MX record is not for using at your Mercury, but for knowing if your email address is easy to find or not. It the address is not found at that place, then, try another one. Until it finds its MX records. Then , you should use that email address to tell your Mercury where to send your emails through.
It is true that there are some techniques that are only used by spammers. But for us mere mortals, we are never clear what to do without paying large sums of money for having it all done!
I am still not very clear about the use of Mercury. But I have tryied it with the email address and it works. (it is just another mail server but it is far away at the www...).
Besides, I use perl to send my emails. And normal Perl mailer modules , now use this technique of just mentioning your personal email address to use it as a server to send emails to everyone. (and it is not for spaming) If you use an email address for spaming, then, you are going to loose your ISP for emails. Just don't !
If someone knows a good place to learn about MX records please, mention it here. I offered myself to contribute with http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ by lending them one email address for free but I am not able to get my MX records and forward one for them :( . That project is going to finally end with spam. So, they need some help of others interested. But they didn't help me much with the instructions for getting - adding MX records.

Note: to learn more about Mercury, just look at http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm and at their news forums.
Is it possible to solve anything by adding more complexity to the problem?
See here:
http://users.adelphia.net/~homedale/popfiled/
It adds PopFile (http://popfile.sf.net) to Mercury and explains how to filter spam with Mercury. See the graphs.
Gallactic Firewall
chanio

Return to XAMPP for Windows