OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed

Alles, was PHP betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed

Postby kboarder » 05. March 2009 17:26

OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed. There is something wrong with your system - please check that PATH includes the directory with Oracle Instant Client Libraries.

I just installed Oracle 10g Client. Is this still not right? Very Frustrated.

Thanks in advance.

Kim
kboarder

Re: OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed

Postby KingCrunch » 28. March 2009 03:13

There is an english subforum below

"PATH" is meant to be an environment variable. How to set r changed is surely mentioned in your OS-Manual.
Nicht jeder Fehler ist ein Bug ...
KingCrunch

Postby Izzy » 28. March 2009 03:42

KingCrunch wrote:There is an english subforum below
IMHO, it is permitted to post in this Grundlagen und Wissenswertes section in English - CMIW.
Izzy

Postby philippc » 04. May 2009 21:34

after much pain also attempting to use XAMPP on WinXP and connect to Oracle using the InstantClient with PHP, ... i got it to work (did i mention with great pain?)!

Initial details:
- my linux box is busy with something else so i am currently forced to use winxp on an ibm, uh, lenovo T400.
- download the latest xampp release:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
- download the latest oracle instant client (requires a login):
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html
- modify C:\xampp\php\php.ini and uncomment/activate the following lines:
extension=php_oracle.dll
extension=php_oci8.dll

- PLEASE NOTE: NO other oracle product is installed on this winxp box
- This also means I have NO tnsnames.ora file, etc.

hi-level steps:
- simply extracted xampp onto c: drive, i.e. c:\xampp\...
- created a php html page: C:\xampp\htdocs\index.php with the following content:

<?php
$db_test = '(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.10.10.10)(PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=TEST)))';
$c = oci_connect("user", "passwd", $db_test);
$s = oci_parse($c, 'select * from some_table order by some_column');
oci_execute($s);
while ($res = oci_fetch_array($s, OCI_ASSOC)) {
var_dump($res);
}
?>

- attempted to add the instantclient dlls to the windoze PATH and created LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc. and various place on the box.

So the failed result(s) with the url http://localhost/index.php ...
the following error message would appear:
oci_connect() http://function.oci-connect: OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed.

after searching and reviewing everywhere and basically trying everything (btw, not much help with xampp on winxp for this error, figures... :?: ), this oracle forum thread provided the best hint for the apparent lame fix:
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=762528&tstart=0

In summary:
Starting completely OVER (yeah, i got frustrated enough and want a clean start)...
Final details, in reasonable order:
- using winxp sp2
- download the latest xampp release:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
- extracted xampp onto c: drive, i.e. c:\xampp\...
- modify C:\xampp\php\php.ini and uncomment/activate the following lines:
extension=php_oracle.dll
extension=php_oci8.dll

- (again)PLEASE NOTE: NO other oracle product is installed on this winxp box (oracle clients, etc.)
- (again)This also means I have NO [i]tnsnames.ora
file, etc.
- (lame)Do not bother updating the windoze env PATH (has no effect).
- (lame)Do not both updating the windoze env LD_LIBRARY_PATH either (no effect anyhow).[/i]

- download the latest oracle instant client (requires a login):
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html
- extracted the oracle instantclient to C:\Temp\instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0\
- copy the contents only from C:\Temp\instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0\instantclient_11_1\* over
to C:\xampp\apache\bin
- start xampp up: c:\xampp\apache_start.bat
- create a php html page to log into oracle called C:\xampp\htdocs\index.php with the previously mentioned php code snippet above:

<?php
$db_test = '(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.10.10.10)(PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=TEST)))';
$c = oci_connect("user", "passwd", $db_test);
$s = oci_parse($c, 'select * from some_table order by some_column');
oci_execute($s);
while ($res = oci_fetch_array($s, OCI_ASSOC)) {
var_dump($res);
}
?>

- CHECK IT! (drum roll please) browse on over to http://localhost/index.php

voila! with much irritation... JOY! IT WORKS (for me at least)! basically, i was attempting to create an alternative test bed for a reporting project-o-mine using php to connect to oracle for bedazzling reports, etc. hopefully this help someone out there...

-p
philippc

Postby jdawson » 08. June 2009 22:46

Thanks philippc, for this suggestion! I also had the OCIEnvNlsCreate() error after reinstalling XAMPP. However... the fix:

"copy the contents only from C:\Temp\instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0\instantclient_11_1\* over
to C:\xampp\apache\bin"

Worked for me (also after MUCH PAIN!!... man, I feel your pain!).

Not sure why environment variables were not being picked up.

For a *superior* db to MySQL (???), it's truly astonishing how Oracle has been such a pain in the neck to simply connect! I could have had a whole app developed and delivered using MySQL in the time it has taken me simply to connect to Oracle. (Yet another check in my book for open source!)
jdawson

Postby Etdashou » 26. February 2010 18:56

Guys....

I am NOT able to do this and I tried exactly the same thing. The ONLY difference is that:

If I look on my pc, my tnsnames has (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = my.server.com)

I don't have this SID.

I tried what you said (copying to apache/bin folder) but I still have OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed error....
My god this is so much pain for a Database connection...

I was wondering, what is your configure command in phpinfo? Here is what I have:

Configure Command cscript /nologo configure.js "--enable-snapshot-build" "--enable-debug-pack" "--with-snapshot-template=d:\php-sdk\snap_5_2\vc6\x86\template" "--with-php-build=d:\php-sdk\snap_5_2\vc6\x86\php_build" "--with-pdo-oci=D:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient10\sdk,shared" "--with-oci8=D:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient10\sdk,shared"

In bold you see that it goes to an unknown folder D:\php-sdk\oracle\etc... but I have absolutly nothing in my D:\ drive about this and I don't know where php have this configured, so I don't know where to change this.

Any help..?
Etdashou

Postby Etdashou » 26. February 2010 19:33

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"take breath of air"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

I needed to copy the CONTENT of the instant client to apache/bin folder. NOT the folder of instant client...

Now it works.

Thank you soooooo much.
Etdashou

Postby thefanatic » 11. October 2010 09:24

philippc
MAN I LOVE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've spent more that 2 days looking for solution for that problem, googling googling, and NOTHING until NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody just repeat check path check path .....
and as you said:

"
- (lame)Do not bother updating the windoze env PATH (has no effect).
- (lame)Do not both updating the windoze env LD_LIBRARY_PATH either (no effect anyhow).[/i]
- copy the contents only from C:\Temp\instantclient-basic-win32-11.1.0.7.0\instantclient_11_1\* over
to C:\xampp\apache\bin
"

and IT WORKS !!!!!!
Finaly I can connect to my ORACLE with PHP ...
thefanatic

Postby ashickurnoor » 17. December 2010 18:32

I am facing same problem, but O/S is ubuntu. What should I do?
ashickurnoor

Postby bigbluevan » 07. March 2012 22:58

This will likely resolve the issue without having to copy all your files to Apache...

I resolved the issue for my situation by prepending 'C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2;' to my PATH environment variable.

For example, my PATH in Windows now looks like this (do not copy this and overwrite your path):
C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2;C:\Program Files\unxutils\usr\local\wbin;C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\;C:\oracle\client\bin;C:\JRun4\verity\k2\_nti40\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\usr\OV\bin;C:\usr\OV\bin\OpC;C:\Program Files\ESTsoft\ALZip\;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

Obviously you'll need to adapt the above for your specific environment. This would probably fix it in a *nix environment too.
bigbluevan

Operating System: Windows

Return to PHP