How to use my phpBB

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to use my phpBB

Postby anybloodyid » 20. February 2010 22:42

Hi

I've copied the folder from my server to the xampp folder on my computer when I type the url in the browser window, I get Object not found?

http://localhost/xampp/public_html/portal.php

Do I have to install the phpBB board from scratch and start again?
anybloodyid

Re: How to use my phpBB

Postby MC10 » 20. February 2010 22:45

Did you stick the "public_html" folder in the "xampp/htdocs" folder? If not, put it there, then access it through http://localhost/public_html/portal.php
MC10

Postby anybloodyid » 21. February 2010 11:43

HI

Nearly there, when I type the address I get this error message,

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Access denied for user 'web35-whoisit'@'localhost' (using password: YES) [1045]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
anybloodyid

Postby Nobbie » 21. February 2010 12:00

anybloodyid wrote:Do I have to install the phpBB board from scratch and start again?

Yes.

Or you *really* have to know, what you are doing there (and in fact, you have no idea). If you like to run a copy of your public phpBB on your local PC, you must copy the folder which holds the PHP scripts, as well as the MySQL data folder. You must either override your local MySQL data folder (back it up before!) or apply appropriate changes to my.cnf (the MySQL Configuration)

If you cannot copy the full MySQL data folder (due to missing rights, depends on your provider), you must export the database which holds your phpBB forum data and import it to your local MySQL. In that case your also have to add a new MySQL user to your MySQL installation with exactly the same UseriD and password as on your public server (seems that it is called 'web35-whoisit', but i dont know the password, you have to know it!).

Last not least you have to apply some changes to your hosts file in order to redirect all requests to the public domain (i.e. www.yourdomain.com) of the forum server to your local PC. This step might be skipped, it depends on the installation of phpBB (whether it uses "hard coded" domain name in generated links - i am unsure about that).

You see, it's not an easy task to copy the full forum down to your PC. If you dont need a copy, but only a fresh install of phpBB, you must do a new install locallly.
Nobbie

Postby anybloodyid » 21. February 2010 13:07

Nobbie

Thank you very much for a clear and concise explanation, there is no real need for me to have the database as I only want to play around with the look of the site so I will install a fresh phpBB board and take it from there.

Cheers
anybloodyid

Return to XAMPP for Windows