Using Xampp - Error message

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Using Xampp - Error message

Postby AndyD_OHD » 24. January 2010 12:06

Hello All from Scotland,

I wish my German was up to scratch, unfortunately being married to a German lass hasn't help contribute to my grasp of the language. However I digress.

I followed the download directions in the appendix for downloading XAMPP. After successful download, I receive the following message every time I start my computer:

mysqld.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

What can I do to get rid of this message?

EDIT: I am using a laptop with Windows XP.
AndyD_OHD

Re: Using Xampp - Error message

Postby Wiedmann » 24. January 2010 12:08

After successful download, I receive the following message every time I start my computer:

If you only download XAMPP, but not install it, there must be another problem with your existing MySQL server.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby AndyD_OHD » 24. January 2010 12:29

Sorry, I thought I had said I had installed it. It is installed, and I have the Xampp 1.7.3 Successful Installation page. When the Xampp is started, the MySQL component closes soon after starting up, and indeed when the computer is started I get the error message mentioned earlier. I am trying to start working with Wordpress Themes, and so having local access to a testing server would be ideal. I am running Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall, and think I have made the rrequired changes within that software although I have also posted on their forums too, in case I have overlooked something.
AndyD_OHD

Postby Wiedmann » 24. January 2010 12:46

I receive the following message every time I start my computer:
mysqld.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

What happens if you remove the MySQL service (untick the SVC checkbox)?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby AndyD_OHD » 24. January 2010 12:54

HI

I've unticked the svc boxes for Apache and MySQL and it seems to be stable for the moment..... but how would this be happening...?
AndyD_OHD

Postby Wiedmann » 24. January 2010 13:21

but how would this be happening...?

I don't know. A service is reporting its problems to the event log (and there is also a MySQL *.err log).

I've unticked the svc boxes for Apache and MySQL and it seems to be stable for the moment.

Can MySQL start if you now tick the checkbox again?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby AndyD_OHD » 24. January 2010 13:48

Having checked the MySQL checkbox, ther was an indication that MySQL was starting, but it never appeared as Running. I then tried Unchecking the checkbox, resulting in a message asking to uninstall the service. I confirmed this, the check would disappear but then reappear in the checkbox within seconds.

Closing Xampp, then restarting, I tried to start Apache and MySQL. Apache starts up and Running, but MySQL does not despite the message that it is started appearing in the Control Panel it does not show as Running. Both checkboxes are ticked. It seems impossible to uninstall the MySQL service, ie.e the checkbox remains ticked now. This is inspite of it being able to be unchecked earlier, as mentioned in an earlier post, when both the Apache and MySQL displayed the Running message.

EDIT:
I've just checked Status, and although the Control Panel doesn't say the MySQL is Running, the Status page says it is Activated. I do apologise, I am new to all this.
AndyD_OHD

Postby David Dade » 25. February 2010 19:45

I have this same problem! Now that I have experimentally checked the "Svc" box for MySql once, I cannot uninstall it. When I untick it, XAMPP asks if I want to uninstall it, and I click OK, and the box unticks and then immediately ticks again. When I click Start for MySql the log says ERROR: MySql service not started [-1], and there's no traffic light icon in the tray.

I can start and stop Apache fine with the button, and I'd like to do the same with MySql, but now that I've ticked its Svc box once, it won't run any more. I now don't want either of the service versions to run at all. What can I do, apart from uninstalling the whole thing and starting again?

Dave
David Dade

Return to XAMPP for Windows