Forum Index page not loading correctly ?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Forum Index page not loading correctly ?

Postby Chris Smith » 14. January 2010 20:05

Support info
Version of XAMPP 1.7.3....Windows Xp Sp3

I'm having a problem that you guy's may be able to clear for me.

I have 2 different types of forum on my computer for test purposes (S.M.F & phpbb both the latest versions in seperate folders) & I'm having a problem viewing 1 of them on the server pc or internet via another computer on a different external Ip connection "depending on which machine done the initial install". I will only explain the problem forum here (smf).

So here we go!!

If I install the smf forum using the server pc, I can view the home page ok using localhost,but when viewing on an external Ip the home page doesnt load correctly.

Now! If I install the forum from the external Pc it shows correctly on that machine but not when viewed on the server using localhost.?

Heres some Images to show you what I mean.

Smf installed & viewed on server Pc using Localhost http://imgcentre.com/img/uploads/big/70a9a3e4b0.jpg
Viewed from external Ip Pc http://imgcentre.com/img/uploads/big/8c33775495.jpg

Smf installed & viewed from extermal Ip Pc http://imgcentre.com/img/uploads/big/70a9a3e4b0.jpg
Viewed from server Pc Localhost http://imgcentre.com/img/uploads/big/8c33775495.jpg

The Phpbb forum shows ok on either machine irrespective which one done the install.?

I deleted cookies on both Pc's to no avail, Any Idea's Chap's!! It's starting to get to me now.lol

Regards
Chris
Chris Smith

Re: Forum Index page not loading correctly ?

Postby Izzy » 14. January 2010 20:28

Chris, from the screen caps it looks like the themes, css and image etc. folders are not being found, perhaps due to incorrect relative or absolute paths.

Check the paths in your SMF configuration.

Read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for possible clues.
Izzy

Postby Chris Smith » 15. January 2010 20:23

Thanks for the reply Izzy,

Sorry for the late responce to your post mate, I checked the error log & this is the error that appears *** google-public-dns-a.google.com can't find 127.0.0.1: Non-existent domain

Before this error it was looking for a Icon = [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/xampp/htdocs/favicon.ico, there wasnt one provided with the download so I stole one from a Ipb package I have.lol, (The answer was in a previous reply post by your goodself)However, I dont know why its looking for this in the htdoc folder when I'm pointing my browser to a smf folder within htdocs.?

Anyways my goodman have you an answer to this problem ? Ho!! I have a few more too but one @ a time Hey! :roll:

Regards
Chris
Chris Smith

Postby Izzy » 15. January 2010 23:04

Never seen this one so I have no idea why you would be going through a public DNS service to access your localhost (127.0.0.1 loop back) on your PC - perhaps some browser, network or other DNS configuration somewhere on your PC that needs adjusting to exempt or exclude local addresses :?: seems pointless using a public DNS service or in fact any DNS service to access the localhost.

BTW Apache is looking for any favicon in the htdocs folder not any specific favicon and this error message can be ignored or use a copy from the one in the htdocs\xampp folder.
Izzy

Postby Chris Smith » 19. January 2010 03:33

Well!! Izzy,
I have finally found the cause to my problem.

The router supplied by my service provider is a Speedtouch Thomson TG585v7 & the loopback was disabled ? all I had to do was Telnet into the device & add the following command: ip config natloopback=enabled & press enter then: saveall enter.

There is no way of knowing this status through the GIU, heres a link to the original thread as it may help others
Code: Select all
http://www.leenukes.co.uk/?p=71

After re-installing everything a 1000 times :| :? All is now well, as they say you learn something new every day, just a pitty it wasent the same day.lol

Regards
Chris

Ps.
The Images above also applied to Ipb3.
Chris Smith

Postby Izzy » 19. January 2010 06:01

Chris ( you have earned a Sherlock gold medal :D ), thanks for posting back with the solution, which I am sure may help others searching the forums with a similar issue - had to be a hidden network setting, sheesh!

At least now you will be able to install XAMPP with your eyes closed. :)

Good luck and I hope now you can move forward and enjoy your XAMPP experience.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows