How to get Xampp to work online for others to view

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to get Xampp to work online for others to view

Postby KDawg08 » 16. January 2010 06:27

I am running a qwest wireless router with built in modem. (I have properly forwarded all the right ports and i've been doing this for years so i have double and triple checked to make sure i did it properly)

I am trying to figure out one thing...

Being as I am on a wired network with 4 pc's on it. How to i make it so my server is online for others to see, and how do i make it so it directs to MY PC instead of some other pc on our network?

I have a static IP and a router 192.168.*.* ip... Can anyone instruct me on how to do this?
KDawg08

Re: How to get Xampp to work online for others to view

Postby KDawg08 » 16. January 2010 21:08

Anyone got any ideas on this?
KDawg08

Postby ripley » 17. January 2010 21:49

KDawg08 wrote:I am running a qwest wireless router with built in modem. (I have properly forwarded all the right ports and i've been doing this for years so i have double and triple checked to make sure i did it properly)

I am trying to figure out one thing...

Being as I am on a wired network with 4 pc's on it. How to i make it so my server is online for others to see, and how do i make it so it directs to MY PC instead of some other pc on our network?

I have a static IP and a router 192.168.*.* ip... Can anyone instruct me on how to do this?

Not quite sure what you mean by others, but if you want your server to be accessed by other users of your local network, they can type http://<your ip-address> to enter your server root or http://<your ip-address>/<foldername>, where <foldername> is a foldername under your htdocs folder. Sorry, if this isn't what you meant.
ripley

Postby GuiderBob » 22. January 2010 11:08

First of all, opening up your XAMPP to the whole Internet world can be very dangerous. You really have to get ALL the security set just right, including that of your router.

That said, what you want to do is really not a XAMPP problem, but a networking one. You need to set the machine running XAMPP to have a static address for your router. Just copy the IP and DNS fields shown when you run ipconfig /all in a command window. Now it will always have the same 168.192... address.
Secondly, you need to set up your router to pass the particular traffic you want to serve so that it goes to the XAMPP machine. This is done on a per-protocol basis from the router's "application" screen (or whatever they call it). Most of this stuff is router-dependent, and you need to consult their directions.
You'll also want to look at http://dyndns.com to create a DNS name for those on the outside that will track your external IP address.

I have opened up only FTP like this, and i was amazed at the number of robots trying to crack my FTP account. FileZilla has some features to reduce this threat, and I highly recommend you use them.

I am doing a series of articles on my site about WAMPS in general, starting with XAMPP. I'll be adding a few on this networking topic, and another on FileZilla security as well. Check out bobstrand.com/totm and give me some feedback.
GuiderBob

Postby picker999 » 23. January 2010 07:21

There are two ways. You can set up the router to pass only the ports that get used. IE port 80 for html port 25 and 110 for email. This method is a pain but more secure. The second way is to put your xampp on the DMZ. The second way is less secure but easily done.
picker999

Return to XAMPP for Windows