Newbie: Installed

Alles, was MariaDB und MySQL betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

Newbie: Installed

Postby ezkey » 03. January 2010 21:50

Hi:
I can't seem to get any help from MySQL forums so I could use some guidance on setting up MySQL since it came with Xampp for Windows.

Situation:
I host my own website with my own server using the Apache Xampp for Windows loaded about 3 years ago. This package came with a number of services including MySQL. I haven't had any use for MySQL until now. I hired a web developer who needs to log into MySQL to setup the e-commerce. All that I have done is installed MySQL and now I'm staring at a window titled "WinMySQLadmin 1.4". From here I have no idea what I need to do so my web developer can login and setup the e-commerce. This is where I need your help.

The only thing "I think" I need to do next is copy the "my.ini" information from the my.ini tab and paste it as a file in the suggested folder in the file. However, I'm unsure. So here are my questions?

1) Is my next step to copy and paste as an INI file the my.ini information to the appropriate directory?

2) From there what do I need to do to create a login and password for my web developer?

3) Can I upgrade this version (i.e. 1.4) to the latest and not mess up the Xampp control panel and all?

I may have other questions, but these are the obvious to me.

Thanks for your patience and assistance :)

-Scott
Scott
ezkey

Re: Newbie: Installed

Postby Nobbie » 03. January 2010 22:41

ezkey wrote:All that I have done is installed MySQL and now I'm staring at a window titled "WinMySQLadmin 1.4".

I dont where you found that very very very very very very very very old frontend, but simply forget it and delete it - it's outdated (since many many many years).

On a fresh installed Xampp you should use the "phpmyadmin" tool from the main menu in http://localhost/xampp (which usually points to http://localhost/phpmyadmin)
Nobbie

Postby ezkey » 04. January 2010 01:31

Nobbie wrote:
ezkey wrote:All that I have done is installed MySQL and now I'm staring at a window titled "WinMySQLadmin 1.4".

I dont where you found that very very very very very very very very old frontend, but simply forget it and delete it - it's outdated (since many many many years).

Thanks so much for helping me and suggesting use the phpmyadmin to access the MySQL. I did not know I could access it that way. In answering your comments out of curiosity, the MySQL v. 1.4 came with the Xampp and was installed from the Xampp Control Panel. So that is where I found it. The Xampp for Windows version I installed was from 3-4 years ago, which was version 5.2.1.

So I have two other simple questions:

1) Can I or should I update these to latest versions?
2) If so, how do I without messing up configurations?

Thanks again for the help!
Scott
ezkey

Postby Nobbie » 04. January 2010 16:25

ezkey wrote:1) Can I or should I update these to latest versions?
2) If so, how do I without messing up configurations?

There is no update package for Xampp, you have to install a complete new Xampp release if you want to run a newer release.
Nobbie

Postby ezkey » 05. January 2010 00:40

Is it necessary to do so do you think?

If so, what will it do to what I have existing?

Will it have to be on a new system?

Thanks!
Scott
ezkey

Return to MariaDB - MySQL