xampp 1.7.2 + windows 7 (64 bit)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp 1.7.2 + windows 7 (64 bit)

Postby kotoroshinoto » 24. November 2009 02:45

I cannot use the newest version in windows 7 because when it tries to start apache, it trips up on some windows security setting or something and fails to run, there is no popup error message, but event viewer reports: "The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function..". I have tried installing it on the non-system drive and it makes no difference.

When I run version version 1.6.8, Filezilla does not start properly during boot time as a service, but it DOES run properly when I ask it to start from the Xampp control panel. I am going to try stopping/starting it and reselecting options in case I chose wrongly. I'll post the results after a reboot.

With the newer Xampp, event viewer showed a relevant error: "The FileZilla Server FTP server service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly." I do not recall if it successfully started on boot.
kotoroshinoto

Re: xampp 1.7.2 + windows 7 (64 bit)

Postby Izzy » 24. November 2009 02:59

kotoroshinoto wrote:I cannot use the newest version in windows 7 because when it tries to start apache, it trips up on some windows security setting or something and fails to run
Yet many members have had no problems installing XAMPP 1.7.2 on Windows 7.

Are you logged into 7 as an administrator before trying to install XAMPP?

Any clues in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file after you have attempted to start Apache?

How are you trying to start Apache and MySQL?

What is the status of the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) components, are they showing a green running indication?

Try removing the ticks in the Svc boxes then try and start Apache and MySQL again, you can always tick the boxes again to install the NT Services once you have established that the components start manually.

Then go to http://localhost and test your installation by running the demos.
Izzy

Postby kotoroshinoto » 25. November 2009 12:49

Izzy wrote:
kotoroshinoto wrote:I cannot use the newest version in windows 7 because when it tries to start apache, it trips up on some windows security setting or something and fails to run
Yet many members have had no problems installing XAMPP 1.7.2 on Windows 7.

Are you logged into 7 as an administrator before trying to install XAMPP?

Any clues in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file after you have attempted to start Apache?

How are you trying to start Apache and MySQL?

What is the status of the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) components, are they showing a green running indication?

Try removing the ticks in the Svc boxes then try and start Apache and MySQL again, you can always tick the boxes again to install the NT Services once you have established that the components start manually.

Then go to http://localhost and test your installation by running the demos.

UAC is completely turned off and I used Run as admin just to be sure. I tried installing more than one time just to be sure
I'll have to give it another try to check what shows up in the error logs, but I can tell you its not from port blocking as I verified that no other services were using those ports.
The other components all showed green, only apache wouldn't start. It actually caused the control panel program to stop responding until it failed. Apache wouldn't start with the service checkbox cleared either. It wouldn't start during boot OR manually upon request.
kotoroshinoto

Postby kotoroshinoto » 25. November 2009 12:52

I feel it might be relevant to specify that I am using Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) that I got from the Microsoft student discount program online download, modified into an ISO and installed from a bootable DVD. There might be something odd that's specific to this version as I had trouble installing MS office 2007 ultimate. (I had to do some weird registry permissions thing to get that to work).
kotoroshinoto

Postby kotoroshinoto » 25. November 2009 12:55

kotoroshinoto wrote:I cannot use the newest version in windows 7 because when it tries to start apache, it trips up on some windows security setting or something and fails to run, there is no popup error message, but event viewer reports: "The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function..". I have tried installing it on the non-system drive and it makes no difference.

When I run version version 1.6.8, Filezilla does not start properly during boot time as a service, but it DOES run properly when I ask it to start from the Xampp control panel. I am going to try stopping/starting it and reselecting options in case I chose wrongly. I'll post the results after a reboot.

With the newer Xampp, event viewer showed a relevant error: "The FileZilla Server FTP server service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly." I do not recall if it successfully started on boot.

I thought it might be implicit, but apache works for me in version 1.6.8, so its something particular to 1.7.2 interacting with my OS that's causing the problem.
kotoroshinoto

Postby DeVrije » 03. December 2009 17:00

About three years I used the excellent XAMPP under Windows XP. Last month I bought a new laptop with Windows-7 in 64-bits mode. And XAMPP (version 1.7.2) has been installed in the map 'C:/Program Files (x86)/xampp'. After the installation I got the XAMPP Control Panel Application where I tried to start Apache and MySql, but they do not go in the running!? Thereafter both SVC indicators switched ON, whereafter I tried to start Apache and MySql. Apparently MySql goes in the running while Control Panel does NOT react for Apache!

In the file 'httpd.conf' I changed teh value in the record 'SSLSessionCache "shmcb:logs/ssl.Scache(512000)"' into 8192, where after there is NOT made any error.

Who can help me with that problem?
DeVrije

Postby Izzy » 04. December 2009 04:00

DeVrije wrote:...I tried to start Apache and MySql, but they do not go in the running!?
Read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues why Apache can't start.

DeVrije wrote:In the file 'httpd.conf' I changed...
Why change anything in the httpd.conf file before you have tested that your XAMPP installation is working in the default state and you can see the XAMPP Welcome Page and run the demos?

After XAMPP is working as it should be using only the default settings then it may be time to configure the individual XAMPP components to suit your own special needs.
Izzy

Postby DeVrije » 05. December 2009 15:43

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bits!) and running at the administration level.
I have done from the downloaded file 'xammp_win32-1.7.2.exe':
- Process that downloaded file
- Change the destination folder to 'C:\Program Files (x86)'
- Press 'Yes' for allowance to modify that folder
- Wait about 5 minutes for extraction
- Press 'y' for addition of shortcuts to startmenu/desktop
- Press 'y' for proceeding
- Press 'n' for making a portable XAMPP
- Press Return to continue
- Press Return to continue
- Press 'x' for exit
- Look at the map 'xampp\apache\logs ... apparently empty
- Process XAMPP Control Panel
- Window 'XAMPP Control Panel Application' appears with SVC for Apache and MySql
(I wonder: why are those two SVC's switched ON automatically)
- Press START for Apache
- Press 'Yes' for allowance to modify the file 'xampp_cli.exe'
- The similar text 'does react' is given in the title 'XAMPP Control Panel Application'!
- Look at the file 'xampp\apache\logs\error.log' ... it has apparently two lines:
Suntax error on line 505 of C:/Program Files (x86)/xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
SSLSessionCache: Invalid argument: Size has to be >= 8192 bytes
- Look at the file 'xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf' ... having apparently only 508 lines!?
And linenumber 505 contains: SSLSessionCache "shmcb:logs/ssl.scache(512000)"

As you see those errors are indeed unusual and mystery!

Help, who can help me?
DeVrije

Postby Wiedmann » 05. December 2009 16:13

(I wonder: why are those two SVC's switched ON automatically)

Maybe there is something left from a previous installation. Just remove the services with "sc" in the shell.

You can try to install XAMPP in "C:\", so file and registry visualization takes no effect.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby DeVrije » 05. December 2009 19:47

You can try to install XAMPP in "C:\", so file and registry visualization takes no effect.

Unfortunately I have done it earlier but I got the compatibility problem. And as well to 'C:\Program Files'! Hence I tried 'C:\Program Files (x86)' and it works but ... with other abovementioned problems. :cry:
DeVrije

Postby DeVrije » 05. December 2009 20:08

Thereafter I tried to UNinstall XAMPP via file 'uninstall_xampp.bat' but it does again NOT work. After investigation it appears that the command 'MKDIR uninst.temp' in that batch file does NOT work BECAUSE of the message
'Access refused'!

And moreover I cannot use that same command within the map 'Program Files'
but it is allowed for the naked directory 'C:\'!

What tot do now?
DeVrije

Postby klezmer41 » 08. December 2009 06:09

One issues that I painfully learned, is that Xampp conflicts with Skype.

Skype will start after xampp, but xampp won't start after skype. This may only happen when first booting up Windows, but maybe close Skype and other programs down to free up ports.
klezmer41

Postby DeVrije » 08. December 2009 11:24

klezmer41 wrote:One issues that I painfully learned, is that Xampp conflicts with Skype.

I do not use Skype.
DeVrije

Postby DeVrije » 08. December 2009 11:31

Could anybody tell me WHETHER there is a XAMPP download file in 64-bits? If there is NO XAMPP download file in 64-bits, then WHAT XAMPP download file in 32-bits should be loaded in the folder 'Program Files (x86)'?

And HOW can I make the abovementioned folder FREE of security check, beacuse XAMPP does modify anything in its own main folder 'xampp'?

With kind regards.
DeVrije

Postby Nobbie » 08. December 2009 14:58

DeVrije wrote:Could anybody tell me WHETHER there is a XAMPP download file in 64-bits?

There is no 64bit Xampp.

DeVrije wrote:If there is NO XAMPP download file in 64-bits, then WHAT XAMPP download file in 32-bits should be loaded in the folder 'Program Files (x86)'?

It's a very bad idea to install Xampp to "Program Files (x86)", as there are very difficult issues with the (horrible!) filename mapping of Microsoft in Windows64/Windows32 environment (introduced in Windows Vista). Due to this filename mapping there are many strange problems (for example the SSL problem you mentioned above).

You *really* should follow the advice for Vista and install Xampp into c:\xampp and nowhere else! Or you must go deeply into Microsofts logic of filename mapping and you really have to know what you are doing there. I cannot recommend to do so.
Nobbie

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows