How to get the mysql prompt? Setting Environment ?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to get the mysql prompt? Setting Environment ?

Postby canbeiro » 30. November 2009 06:55

Hi people,

I installed Xampp in my computer last Friday. My first impression was great, but I will need to learn some basic things to use it. The first one is how to get the mysql prompt in the DOS panel. In a separate installation of mysql, before using Xampp, I got to it typing "mysql -u root -p". Now, when I type this, I get the answer "mysql is not recognized as a command...".

I searched this forum for an answer and, in the thread 'Cant seem to get shell to login to mysql', the answer tells:
"Try this first: Click on the Shell button in the XAMPP Control Panel and, at the shell prompt # type: mysql -u root -p and
hit return."

I tried this but, when I clicked the shell button in the XAMPP Control Panel, a DOS window showed, with the following text:
"Setting environment for using XAMPP for windows.
Administrator@MCR.... C:\xampp
# "

Well, I have no idea what I need to do here.

Could anyone tell me ? I will appreciate a lot.

Marcos.
canbeiro

Re: How to get the mysql prompt? Setting Environment ?

Postby canbeiro » 30. November 2009 07:36

Well, I found the answer by myself. I just typed mysql -u root at the showed XAMPP shell. In fact, the answer to the thread I mentioned is very clear. It already says that the prompt of the xampp shell is a #, but it escaped to me. I got confused by the first 2 lines of the xampp shell, that were new to me, but it seems that we may ignore them. Well, maybe this additional explanation will help other newcomers to XAMPP. Marcos 8)
canbeiro

Return to XAMPP for Windows