Xampp does not start after pc reboot

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp does not start after pc reboot

Postby JonoB » 29. November 2009 10:36

I have installed xampplite and it works 100% after installation. I have created mysql databases, run php scripts and webpages, no problem.

However, as soon as I reboot my pc, I am unable to get Apache or Mysql to start again. I clickthe Start button next to Apache on the Control Panel and the log in the control panel says "Apache started", but it hasnt. There is no green "Running" text, the Start button does not change to Stop, and a Port-Check indicates that port 80 is still free. The exact same story with mysql.

If I reinstall xampplite, then it immediately starts working again...until the next time I reboot.

I am running on Windows 7 64bit, with xampplite installed into its own folder on a seperate hard drive. I'd love to get this working, having just converted from wampserver.
JonoB

Re: Xampp does not start after pc reboot

Postby Izzy » 29. November 2009 10:49

You have to set the Services to Automatic to have them start at boot time.

Click on the SCM button in the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) and find Apache2.2 then right click and select Properties.

Now Select Automatic from the drop box Startup type.

You can also click on the Start Button just below it.

Next Click OK then Close then close the SCM

Repeat for the MySQL entry.

Go back to your XCP and see both showing the green running.

Next reboot and see if this has fixed your issue.
Izzy

Postby JonoB » 29. November 2009 10:56

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I obviously wasnt clear: I dont want xampp to *automatically* start after reboot. My issue is that once I have installed it, I cant get it to start at all from the control panel after rebooting.
JonoB

Postby JonoB » 29. November 2009 11:01

I have disabled the windows firewall, rebooted and tried again.

Now, when I click the Start button for Apache, the green "Running" text comes up for a second, and then disappears.

There are no entries in the H:\xampplite\apache\logs\error.log file
JonoB

Postby Izzy » 29. November 2009 11:07

Remove the tick in the Svc box in the XCP as you say you don't need it, answer the question when asked.

Then try and Start Apache and MySQL again.

Read the \apache\logs\error.log file for the reason Apache can't start once you have removed the tick in the Svc box.

Do a port check again.
Izzy

Postby JonoB » 29. November 2009 11:35

Svc was never ticked, so nothing to untick.
Prevented AVG from starting on boot.
Rebooted.
Apache and mysql do not start from XCP or directly from apache_start.bat or mysql_start.bat.
Port check indicates all ports are free.
No text in error.log file
JonoB

Postby Izzy » 29. November 2009 11:47

As you have realized we can't see your PC from here so we rely on you telling us what you see and what you do in detail.

When you run apache_start.bat file what message is returned in the console window - you can copy and paste here if you wish.
Izzy

Postby JonoB » 29. November 2009 11:52

Well, I enabled the Svc for Apache and Mysql, did not reboot, and now Apache and Mysql can be started by clicking the "Start" button in XCP.

If I disable the Svc checkboxes, then neither Apache or Mysql can be started from XCP.

Go figure.
JonoB

Postby Izzy » 29. November 2009 22:49

It is possible after using wamp that it left behind some registry entries after uninstalling it.

XAMPP does not add any entries to the registry.

Windows adds entries when the NT Services are installed, ticks in the Svc boxes.

Remove any ticks in XCP then search the registry for any apache, mysql and wamp entries and delete them if found, but first backup the registry is best practice.

This may then have XAMPP back to normal.
Izzy

Postby JonoB » 30. November 2009 10:27

Thanks for the replies Izzy
Izzy wrote:As you have realized we can't see your PC from here so we rely on you telling us what you see and what you do in detail.
When you run apache_start.bat file what message is returned in the console window - you can copy and paste here if you wish.

Console says:
Now we start Apache
Starting "apache"...
wait about 20 seconds
"apache" is not started.
Press any key to continue . . .

So, not very instructive.

I also followed your advice about wampserver, but this did not make any difference. Btw, it seems that xampp does add some entries into registry as well.

So, only solution for me atm is to run apache and mysql as a service.
JonoB

Postby Izzy » 30. November 2009 10:46

JonoB wrote:Btw, it seems that xampp does add some entries into registry as well.
This from the readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder
QUICK INSTALLATION wrote:Step 1: Please start the "setup_xampp.bat" and beginning the installation. Note: XAMPP makes no entries in the windows registry or adds new system variables.
Izzy wrote:XAMPP does not add any entries to the registry.

Windows adds entries when the NT Services are installed, ticks in the Svc boxes.
I have 5 XAMPP version installed on my PC and not a single registry entry to be found.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows