Where did Sendmail come from?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Where did Sendmail come from?

Postby RChadwick » 29. November 2009 06:27

After a bit of hassle, and despite the complete lack of documentation (Quick and incomplete mention in a forum, and 50 other posts telling you to search for the first post, doesn't count), I finally managed to set up my YABB board so it could send mail using the Sendmail that comes with XAMPP. However, I'm a bit concerned. From the recent research I just did, I could only find two sendmail programs for Windows. One is commercial, and the other is freeware, with a copyright (Fake Sendmail). I'm assuming the sendmail that comes with XAMPP is a third version? I found no documentation, version number, etc. Since this thing will have access to one of my passwords on my email server, I'd like to know where it came from. What's it's status? Freeware? Open Source? Something else? Is source code available? I'm sorry, I just feel REAL nervous turning my mail server over to some program that nobody knows where it came from, no documentation, no revision information even. Are there bugs that might be a security concern? Or perhaps crash or DOS my email server? I'd feel more comfortable making an informed decision, if I actually had some information.
RChadwick

Re: Where did Sendmail come from?

Postby angusmann » 29. November 2009 07:08

Good question .. and the answer is "I wouldn't have a clue."

I am equally frustrated with the process, and it's sort of comforting to know that it's not just me that has trouble finding any decent information.

Would you mind letting us know how you managed to get it working?
angusmann

Postby Izzy » 29. November 2009 07:14

Missing support info - what XAMPP version and which Windows OS?
So assuming latest stable XAMPP version.

The sendmail included in XAMPP 1.7.2 is msmtp details can be seen in the readme_en.txt file.

Version prior to 1.7.2 used fake sendmail.
Izzy

Postby RChadwick » 29. November 2009 07:39

Yes, I'm using 1.7.2, with Windows 2003. I googled, and found: http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/news.html

Seems they've come out with a few versions since then, including a security fix, so I think I'll upgrade.

As for what I did to get it working, it's all in the config file. The one that comes with it is somewhat self-explanatory, but leaves out some important items. Actually, instead of talking about what I really have no idea about (Just got lucky, changed a few things until it worked), maybe you should check out the real docs: http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/doc/msmtp.html
RChadwick

Return to XAMPP for Windows