Apache doesn't run in Vista

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache doesn't run in Vista

Postby Messyplay » 24. November 2009 12:30

Hi, apologies for being a newbie and hope you can help. I'm one of those people hoping to work in Joomla in the end, but the xampp installation is holding me up.

Running on vista and installed xampp windows 1.7.2. The control panel starts mySQL happily enough. But when I start Apache I never get the "running" box. The control panel app returns either:

Busy...
WARNING: terminating worker thread 0

or just:
Busy...

As a result I am not getting to the localhost page

thanks
Messyplay

Re: Apache doesn't run in Vista

Postby Messyplay » 24. November 2009 12:53

A bit more information -

I should add that I checked ports 80 and 443 and skype is not using them. Also, I am running ESET security but i don't think that is the problem as I never got the firewall message "(OS 10038)Socket operation on non-socket: make_sock: for address 0.0.0.0:80,
apr_socket_opt_set: (SO_KEEPALIVE)

Finally, checking or unchecking the SVC box makes no difference. Sometimes the "running" green light comes up for a half second, but then it hangs and I get "busy..." again
Messyplay

Postby Izzy » 24. November 2009 13:39

Anything in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file that may hold a clue why Apache can't start?
Izzy

Postby Messyplay » 24. November 2009 22:28

Hi Izzy thanks for coming to help.

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

is what I read in the error log ...

This would seem to be related to the port 80 problem with skype. Well, i have specifically instructed skype to look for alternate ports, and sykpe is closed anyway.

When I try to run apache from the local service list, it does try (and gets about 10% of the way along the green loading bar) but then it hangs and I get a dialog box telling me to refer to the service vendor and cite "service-specific code error 1"

the entry in the local service list for Apache has as the path to its exe:
"C:\xampp\xampp\apache\bin\httpd.exe" -k runservice

and it does offer me some other options for starting that service eg manual and disabled as well as some further options in the management console for starting from the command line. But I am reluctant to go there until I have heard your thoughts.

Best wishes

Messyplay
Messyplay

Postby Wiedmann » 24. November 2009 23:50

could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

This would seem to be related to the port 80 problem with skype.

Apache is very clear in its message to you: There is an other software using my port. This can be Skype, but also any other software you have installed in running.
--> Just look which software is using this port (as server).
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Dorovar » 25. November 2009 08:58

I was having the same problem, I'm also on Vista.
I restarted,opened XAMPP control panel, then started Apache first, then MySQL.
They both work now, for what it's worth . . .
Dorovar

Postby Messyplay » 26. November 2009 00:19

Thanks everyone. Not quite sure how I check what is on port 80 but I am sure i can work it out.
Messyplay

Postby Bron » 26. November 2009 09:24

hi everyone
i am finding it so frustrating to use xampp. Apache is installed but doesnt work there is no reposnse for the system to an instruction to start only that it hasnt after its thought about it for a while....is there anything i can do? i couldnt get wamp working either and although i get the console its all but useless to me.
so ive uninstalled it and installed xampp....and still apache doesnt work.
thanks for any help
bron
Bron

Postby Izzy » 26. November 2009 09:38

Bron wrote:Apache is installed but doesnt work there is no reposnse

Missing support info - what XAMPP version and which Windows OS?
So assuming latest stable XAMPP version.
Izzy wrote:Anything in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file that may hold a clue why Apache can't start?
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows