Do you know how to sync XAMPP between two computers????

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Do you know how to sync XAMPP between two computers????

Postby Juox » 24. November 2009 01:37

Hello everyone;

I have read that it's not recommendable to use xampp as local server in two computers but I really need to travel and work at home sometimes and I wonder as newbie if I can use the Windows Briefcase to synchronize folders in xampp?, I would like to know what folders do I have to set in the brief case in order to sync them if possible?.

I use xampp as local server just to test and modify my joomla websites but I want to just sync the xampp instead to backup and restore the joomla each time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kind Regards.
Juox

Re: Do you know how to sync XAMPP between two computers????

Postby Izzy » 24. November 2009 02:52

Missing support info - what XAMPP version and which Windows OS?
Juox wrote:I have read that it's not recommendable to use xampp as local server in two computers
Where exactly did you read this little gem?
It is not recommended to run XAMPP as a production server but rather as a development environment only on any computer, single or multiple - \xampp\readme_en.txt file.
Other good reading:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-windows.html

Juox wrote:...I wonder as newbie if I can use the Windows Briefcase to synchronize folders in xampp?
I have no idea what Windows Briefcase is but one would assume that is has some sort of documentation with it that would help you with this issue.

You would need to synchronize any files and folders that you changed on one computer with the other computer and visa versa - but as a general rule simply copying over the entire xampp installation folder, (or configuring Briefcase to do it), would be the way to go especially if you have the xampp folder located in the same location on each PC, as XAMPP does not make registry entries

Windows adds registry entries if you run any XAMPP component as an NT Service ie. you have ticked any of the Svc boxes in the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP)...

...but in a development environment, starting and stopping XAMPP components manually would, IMHO, be a much better idea all round as it would not entail any Registry entries at all and make it easier to sync your PCs (remove the ticks in the Svc boxes in XCP).

Often it is best to make a Copy of xampp folder by dragging it holding down the Ctrl key, as a fall back measure, then having a go at doing what you want to do with your Briefcase app. as it may then show up more readily how this synchronization all falls into place.

If things go pear shaped then simply delete the xampp folder and replace by renaming your Copy of xampp to xampp again, then you will be back to square one and can have another attempt using a different approach perhaps.

If your attempts at using Briefcase have a successful outcome then simply delete the Copy of xampp folder and once again you will moving forward.

Good luck.
Izzy

Re: Do you know how to sync XAMPP between two computers????

Postby Juox » 24. November 2009 06:56

Thanks for the fast response Dizzy;

But I got what I was looking for just copying the folders "htdocs" and "MySQL" from one computer to the other; and my Joomla sites work very well.

I assume that it is possible because:
1.- I have the same xampp version 1.6.8
2.- The same installation folder in the same path ( I am running windows vista on both systems)

Also just for reference I use xampp to set Joomla websites running locally I am just a DTP not a computer programmer.

Any extra information for future references will be appreciated.
Juox

Return to XAMPP for Windows