Is it safe to just duplicate my XAMPP folder?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Is it safe to just duplicate my XAMPP folder?

Postby Haltingpoint » 20. November 2009 08:27

In the process of transferring all my local development junk from my old machine to the new one. I haven't bothered to download/install XAMPP on the new one, however I copied over my c:\xampp folder from my old machine and pasted it onto the new machine and it appears that everything is working correctly.

Are there components that only work when the installer is used to properly install XAMPP on a machine? Or is it fine to just copy over the folder without needing to actually formally install anything?
Haltingpoint

Re: Is it safe to just duplicate my XAMPP folder?

Postby Izzy » 20. November 2009 09:55

Missing support info - what XAMPP version and which Windows OS?
Izzy

Postby Haltingpoint » 20. November 2009 19:31

XAMPP version 1.6.6a on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.
Haltingpoint

Postby notmyusername » 20. November 2009 20:48

Since XAMPP can be made portable, yes you should be able to do this. I have done it before several times, and only needed to change small things like my IP address in httpd.conf if that changed and install apache and mysql as services, which can be done from that control panel app IIRC.

Edit: this was on hardware that went Win XP 32 to Vista 64 to Win 7 64.
notmyusername

Postby Izzy » 20. November 2009 21:42

Haltingpoint wrote:...I copied over my c:\xampp folder from my old machine and pasted it onto the new machine and it appears that everything is working correctly.
Then no worries.

Haltingpoint wrote:Are there components that only work when the installer is used to properly install XAMPP on a machine? Or is it fine to just copy over the folder without needing to actually formally install anything?
With such an old XAMPP version and if located in the same location ie C:\xampp as where you copied from, which you say it is, then there is no formal install to do as XAMPP does not make any entries in the registry.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows