xampp control panel start not working

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp control panel start not working

Postby l3rodey » 18. November 2009 09:16

Hey guys,
Few problems, I'm running windows 7 currently
and I need to know something,
I installed xampp, on my system, defualt settings version 1.7.2
successfully,
but in the control panel, where it says start for everything, When I click start nothing happens, like down the bottom says
Busy...
____ service started.

but the admin button is still disabled, and no green box saying started, if I highlight it says stopped,
can someone tell me whats going on?
l3rodey

XAMPP version: 5
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: xampp control panel start not working

Postby Izzy » 18. November 2009 10:09

Try removing the tick in the Svc box next to Apache then, after answering the question and making sure the Svc box remains un-ticked, try the Start button again.

The Svc box enables or disables the NT Service which will start the XAMPP component when you boot your PC and is only required if you need this service.

The NT Services can be configured by clicking on the SCM button in the XAMPP Control Panel, then finding the XAMPP component service in the list of services.
Izzy

Postby Mike_ » 19. November 2009 17:54

I'm having the same problem. Succesfully installed XAMPP, same version, and I run the control panel. MySql is already running, but when I try to start Apache, it says 'Busy...' and freezes for awhile. After that it says 'Apache started'. Except it didn't (no running message, start button still enabled, stop button disabled, nothing at localhost). I haven't changed anything in the settings.

When I run the Apache_start bat, it says 'Starting Apache' for awhile, and then "apache is not started". No other message.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit. Did a moderate amount of research on this problem, but the only workaround I've found is to install an older version of XAMPP. Are there any other solutions out there?

EDIT: Apache isn't running as a service, svc box not ticked. Won't run as a service, gives the same messages when I try.
Mike_

Postby Wiedmann » 19. November 2009 18:01

Curious, nobody knows, that there is a good reason for error logs...
(--> the user or others must not guess what happens.)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Mike_ » 19. November 2009 18:15

Sorry, you mean that there are error logs that I should've checked (if so, where?), or that there should be?
Mike_

Postby Izzy » 19. November 2009 22:59

Curious how when ever a certain person mentions error logs that they fail to include it's location so that there is always a further forum reply to ask the question, as the user or others should not have to guess it's location.

Likewise, the returned cryptic, unhelpful, poorly written, one line (often one just one word) messages of batch files and the XAMPP Control Panel could be vastly improved, which may help eliminate some needless forum support request.

@ Mile_
The error.log file is to be found in the \xampp\apache\logs\ folder and can be read by dragging the file into your text editor or associating the .log file extension with your text editor so all it takes then would be a double click on the file to open it.
Izzy

Postby Mike_ » 20. November 2009 00:33

Izzy wrote:Curious how when ever a certain person mentions error logs that they fail to include it's location so that there is always a further forum reply to ask the question, as the user or others should not have to guess it's location.

Likewise, the returned cryptic, unhelpful, poorly written, one line (often one just one word) messages of batch files and the XAMPP Control Panel could be vastly improved, which may help eliminate some needless forum support request.

@ Mile_
The error.log file is to be found in the \xampp\apache\logs\ folder and can be read by dragging the file into your text editor or associating the .log file extension with your text editor so all it takes then would be a double click on the file to open it.

Thanks for the helpful reply, don't know why but in a support forum I prefer those over sarcastic, useless posts.

In any case, the error logs say:
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

When I port check 443 is taken up by SYSTEM. After netstatting I noticed it's used by one of my running aps, so I killed that one. If it's something that can't/shouldn't be killed, you can just disable apache HTTPS services, that's the only thing that needs 443.

So it runs now. Just posting this here so that if anyone else has the same problem, they can fix it. And to show how a single helpful post can actually fix the problem (And I obviously don't mean yours, Wiedmann).

Have a great day!
Mike_

Postby Snow_Flake » 10. October 2014 14:32

Hi,

I have version 1.7.3 and when I was seeing a video tutorial on how to install it, I remember the lady saying something about Skype.

One week later, I faced the exact same problem mentioned above. I had just finished a conversation on Skype.

I still don't know what's the connection, but when I logged out of Skype, the control panel was fine like before.

Just in case it helps someone.
Snow_Flake

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows