Folder Permissions

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Folder Permissions

Postby thcreations » 14. October 2009 23:46

Hi,

I am new to linux. I have gotten lampp to install easily, per the great instructions on apachefriends.org. but I cant seem to get a project started.

I develop a lot with wordpress and under xampp on winXP I would simply add my site folder into htdocs, extract my wordpress files, setup my db and off I go.

With linux I dont seem to have permission to write to htdocs or any other folder within /root for that matter.

Any guidance would be appreciated, Thanks.
thcreations

Re: Folder Permissions

Postby thcreations » 16. November 2009 02:50

Still can't figure this out.
thcreations

Postby Nobbie » 16. November 2009 12:03

Get you a book or a tutorial about linux rights management. This differs heavily from windows an cannot be explained in a simple forum. You have to learn the basics by yourself.
Nobbie

Postby areopagus » 18. November 2009 07:21

Nobbie, if you don't know anything, why don't you just shut up?

thcreations question is legit. I know about linux permissions, and how to change them. This doesn't have anything to do with that. Any documentation I find on the net having anything to do with XAMPP details how to install it. My basset hound could install XAMPP. There is little documentation on what to do next.

I've got XAMPP installed. Everything's cool. When I start XAMPP I get the "Welcome to XAMPP for Linux 1.7.2 !" page. Not a problem.

Except for this: I didn't install XAMPP to stare at the Welcome page. I wanted to do some work. Therein lies the problem. When I put a different index.html file in the htdocs directory I get this error message:
===================================================================================================
Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
===================================================================================================
Real cute. I especially like the touch about contacting the webmaster. I'm the webmaster, and I don't know what to do.

The documentation on the friends of apache site is pathetic. More directions for my basset hound, but nothing more.

The error message leads me to believe that permissions or file ownership are the root of the problem, but I don't know who is supposed to own the index.html file.

I have a Fedora 10 system. If anybody has wrestled with Error 403, I would appreciate some guidance.
areopagus

Return to XAMPP for Linux