apache is not running

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

apache is not running

Postby globalcomercio » 09. November 2009 02:36

My apache was running on windows 7 after i instaled it, but for a mistake i delete the "jos_user" on the instalation process for joomla, and now i have been unistalling and installing many times but still with the same problem: the apache just doesn't run, when i click the box on the left side of apache and also when click on run, only send me a message that is not responding. can someone help? thank you.
globalcomercio

Re: apache is not running

Postby Izzy » 09. November 2009 03:09

globalcomercio wrote:...the apache just doesn't run
Why not?

Have you checked the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues?
Izzy

Postby globalcomercio » 09. November 2009 19:28

Thank you Izzy,

Now is working, (after installing aparently XAMPP 1.7.0 at night, first was blocked, then in the morning when i opened XAMPP Control panel again, it was just working normal), but how can i know what version i have installed becouse at xampp control panel it shows version 1.7.2 and on the mozilla explorer when i click from xamp control panel it shows this: Welcome to XAMPP for Windows Version 1.7.0 !

Also i have 2 folders installed on my computer, aparently the one from c:\xampp\ is the one that must be working fine, and the other it is installed under c:\users\username\documents\xampp (and this is the current directory that it shows the Xampp control panel) with staus ok.

should i delete the folder: c:\users\username\documents\xampp or it is necesary to be both folders on those 2 places? joomla it is installed under c:\xampp\ and works fine.

and about the root: \xampp\apache\logs\error.log there are only reports from the one that it is under c:\xampp (semms to me that this is the one that i must keep.

and makes a little noise when i use the windows explorer with these 2 folders.

any comments? thank you.
globalcomercio

Postby Izzy » 10. November 2009 01:03

globalcomercio wrote:...how can i know what version i have installed
You should only have one version of XAMPP installed - you can only run one instance of XAMPP at a time.

In the C:\xampp folder, which BTW is the normal default install folder for XAMPP, and in the other installation folder, you should see a folder named install, drag the file xampp_version.txt file (for 1.7.2) or .version (for version pre 1.7.2) into your text editor and it will tell you what version is installed in which folder.

globalcomercio wrote:should i delete the folder: c:\users\username\documents\xampp or it is necesary to be both folders on those 2 places?
XAMPP should only be in the one place and IMHO C:\xampp is the preferred default installation - also you should be logged in as an administrator so you can effectively administer a web server effectively.

Just make sure that everything to do with XAMPP points to the installation location you choose.

If you are removing the folder with version XAMPP 1.7.2 then you can run the uninstall_xampp.bat file first before deleting the folder.

BTW Joomla runs in XAMPP versions older that 1.7.2 so the folder with 1.7.0 will be fine for Joomla.
Izzy

Postby globalcomercio » 10. November 2009 02:14

Is there any reason that at Xampp control panel it shows version 1.7.2, but on the Mozilla explorer, it shows Version 1.7.0 ?.
The version installed on c:\Xampp\ it is 1.7.0
and on the other folder it is 1.7.2 (the one to be deleted).
globalcomercio

Postby Izzy » 10. November 2009 02:19

Make sure that all XAMPP Control Panels are closed (stopped or not running) then delete any shortcuts to the XCPs you find.

Now in the C:\xampp folder you will see the xampp-control.exe file which is the XCP for the 1.7.0 installation in that folder.

Double click on it and see what it has to say - it does not show the XAMPP version in the XCP if it is version 1.7.0 unlike version 1.7.2 XCP which does show the XAMPP version.

If it is the correct XCP version then simply right click on the xampp-control.exe file and create a shortcut on your desktop for it.

There is also a Joomla upgrade to 1.5.15 that may be PHP 5.3 compatible which may now work in XAMPP 1.7.2 versions - not tested.
http://www.joomla.org/announcements/rel ... eased.html

Having 2 versions of XAMPP on the same PC without knowing how to control them will cause this total confusion.

BTW follow either of the 2 methods on the XAMPP for Windows home page for uninstalling XAMPP version 1.7.2 before deleting the 1.7.2 installation folder.

Good luck.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows