Beginnerquestions webserver.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Beginnerquestions webserver.

Postby Wizkid » 06. November 2009 23:32

Hello,

First of, I'm sorry for having seemingly such dumb questions. For me, however, it is something totally new, and I haven't been able to find an answer by Googling.

I've set up Xampp, which contains (as running services):
- Apache
- MySQL
- Filezilla (got some problems with this)

First off, the Filezilla problem. In the Xampp panel I can choose for Admin behind Apache, MySQL and Filezilla. I don't have any problems with Apache and MySQL, but Filezilla is causing some problems; I get the following message:
Code: Select all
 FileZilla Server version 0.9.32 beta
Copyright 2001-2009 by Tim Kosse (tim.kosse@filezilla-project.org)
Connecting to server...
Connected, waiting for authentication
Protocol warning: Server version mismatch: Server version is 0.9.51.32, interface version is 0.9.50.32
Protocol error: Protocol version mismatch: Server protocol version is 0.1.11.0, interface protocol version is 0.1.10.0
Connection to server closed.
Trying to reconnect in 5 seconds

Is there a solution for this?

Second off, my intension at the moment is to use this server to upload and download files. I need to be able to upload files from my home computer (which acts as server), and download them at school. This also needs to be possible the other way around; uploading files from school, so I can access them at home (my server). To make this possible, I found PHPfileNavigator ( http://pfn.sourceforge.net/ ), which is operational now.

However, I want this to be safe aswell. I secured it with a login name and password, but when I access the site I can still see all the folders. (It's location is hxxp://www.WEBSITE.nl/upload), so that's the location where I log in on PHPfileNavigator. However, if I just go to hxxp://www.WEBSITE.nl, I can still see, and access, all of the folders and files I make with PHPfileNavigator. The fact that I can see those folders, is because I don't have an index.php/html, I can make this. But it won't solve the problem of those folders/files being publicly accessable without the requirment of any login/password through PHPfileNavigator. How can I fix this?

And my last question: What program (and how) should I use to access my server(localhost) so I can set up the attributes of files/folders. (read/write/the numbers (777, etc...)?

Thanks in advance,

Niels Hendriks

PS. Sorry for my bad English :oops:
Wizkid

Re: Beginnerquestions webserver.

Postby Izzy » 07. November 2009 01:21

Wizkid wrote:FileZilla...I get the following message: ... Is there a solution for this?
Niels, perhaps here:
http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... =6&t=13143

BTW in your scenario you don't need FileZilla so you can safely remove the NT Service (remove the tick in the Svc box after stopping FileZilla) then if and when you require an FTP server simply start FileZilla manually - don't forget to configure FileZilla correctly for your needs when required.

Wizkid wrote:...But it won't solve the problem of those folders/files being publicly accessable without the requirment of any login/password through PHPfileNavigator. How can I fix this?
You can disable Indexes in the apache\conf\httpd.conf file - make a copy of the file before editing.

Open in your text editor and find this near line 228:
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI

change the line so it looks like this
Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks +Includes +ExecCGI

Save the httpd.conf file and restart the Apache server.

Now instead of seeing an index of files and folders the browser request will be served a 403 Access denied! message.

Wizkid wrote:...so I can set up the attributes of files/folders. (read/write/the numbers (777, etc...)?
This is not required on a Windows XAMPP localhost server nor can it be done but would only be required if you use an online Linux server.
Izzy

Postby Wizkid » 07. November 2009 02:29

Thanks Izzy,

I succesfully changed the setting in Apache, it's working correctly now, thanks!
Thanks aswel on the information about Filezilla.

The other thing however, about Filezilla didn't work, but as I won't need that it'll be fine :>

Thanks!

- Niels
Wizkid

Postby Wizkid » 08. November 2009 12:03

Hey,

I've got things working now, and there's only 2 more 'problems' I'm having, is there anything I can do to change/improve this?

- Slow access time; When people go to the site it takes awhile to load, but once it's loaded the login/other pages work fine.
- Up/downloadspeed: This is slow in the beginning, but it steadily (but slowly) increases to the max download/upload speed supported. Is it possible to improve this so it starts at the max. up/down speed right away?

It's hosted at my own PC, but it should be good enough to work for such simple things:

Asus P5K
Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
4GB DDR2
750GB hard drive (no SSD) - supports about 90MB/sec transfer rate.
Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Cat5e cables
50/50Mbit fiberglass connection
Linksys WRT160N v2 router - latest firmware.

Thanks,

- Niels
Wizkid

Postby Wizkid » 10. November 2009 14:46

Bump please
Wizkid

Return to XAMPP for Windows