Images only load on XAMPP PC

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Images only load on XAMPP PC

Postby wubba » 01. November 2009 06:47

Hello all... Unsure if this is an isolated problem or a common setting that newbies like me overlook when setting up XAMPP & OpenCart??.. so anyway here is my setup:

Windows XP Pro SP2 x32
XAMPP 1.7.2
OpenCart 1.3.2

My site loads correctly when viewed from my PC with XAMPP installed but if i try to access it from my other PC on the same network not to mention from an outside source, the images do not load!?.. the HTML/PHP loads a nasty default font & looks a little chaotic!?
Anyone have an idea what the issue is???.... something to do with cache permissions???

Thanks in advance

wubba
wubba

Re: Images only load on XAMPP PC

Postby Izzy » 01. November 2009 09:06

wubba wrote:...from an outside source, the images do not load!?.. the HTML/PHP loads a nasty default font & looks a little chaotic!?
Can you supply a link so I can take a look at this issue from an Internet perspective?

I see you have also posted exactly the same on the OpenCart forums, but still no responses?

AFAIK there are no installation settings specific for XAMPP with OpenCart that you missed or any cache permission or indeed permissions of any kind in a Windows installation.

One can almost assume that XAMPP is not at fault here, because it loads locally without issue, but perhaps your router settings or some other PC or firewall/anti-virus issue or even an OpenCart configuration setting.

There may be a network guru spot this thread and offer some specifics for network settings.

Is there anything related in the Apache error.log file after you try and access from the network or from the Internet?
Izzy

Re: Images only load on XAMPP PC

Postby Nobbie » 01. November 2009 11:49

As you installed the software (OpenCart?) you might have been asked, on which domain the software runs. If you enter "localhost", many dynamically generated links and images might point to http://localhost/... , which is not reachable from outside (as localhost always points to the local PC). Due to your description, at least the images and CSS style sheets are not loaded correctly.

Instead of "localhost" you must supply either the IP or a public domain name (which points to the IP), if your site should be accessible from outside correctly.
Nobbie

Re: Images only load on XAMPP PC (load only on LAN now)

Postby wubba » 02. November 2009 02:00

Hey guys... thanks for the response! :) ...

By the way I should mention I have a dynamic IP so I've bypassed that by manually assigning a static IP to my PC & use 'FreeDNS Update' to update my WAN IP whenever it changes but that aint the problem as my site is accessible via the internet, just not the images.

I changed the config.php in admin and the root folder to my static IP & now it displays correctly from my other PC .... problem is the only way i can test it from an outside source is my Nokia N95 which seems to STILL have trouble loading the images.. only difference now it loads the correct font. (This depends on my mobiles internet connection... if i access the site via my mobile carriers internet, it fails to load correctly but if i connect to my router from my mobile (same LAN as my other PC's) it displays fine!!! ???

I tried replacing the entire OpenCart site with a test HTML index containing a static image & an embedded SWF, the image displayed fine but not the SWF!? (outside source)..

I'll keep fiddling round with other files relating to the localhost but if i have indicated to anyone what setting i need to change now, please let me know!!! :D
Last edited by wubba on 02. November 2009 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
wubba

Re: Images only load on XAMPP PC (Solved!!!)

Postby wubba » 02. November 2009 03:52

Solved!!! I had to change all the config files from my assigned static IP to the domain name. From what i gather my static IP cannot be accessed externally. I cannot have my WAN IP in the config for my lovely ISP assigns me a dynamic IP (changes constantly) so the domain it is!

Thankyou for your help. Special thanks to Nobbie! :mrgreen:
wubba

Return to XAMPP for Windows