[SOLVED] Mercury autostart

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

[SOLVED] Mercury autostart

Postby Etdashou » 22. October 2009 16:28

Hi guys,

For unknown reason, I cannot add Mercury as a service. The button on the xampp control panel is greyed out.
But I would like to have mercury to start automatically when I boot my Server.

Any idea to do this?
I did a search within this forum and I found some german result or something else :shock:
Last edited by Etdashou on 11. November 2009 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Etdashou

Re: Mercury autostart

Postby Izzy » 22. October 2009 22:16

What version of XAMPP and what Windows OS are you using?

The button on the xampp control panel is greyed out
This may mean that Mercury is not installed, perhaps.

Try double clicking on C:\xampp\MercuryMail\mercury_installservice.bat

To remove the service double click on C:\xampp\MercuryMail\mercury_uninstallservice.bat

C:\xampp\readme_en.txt also explains this under * WINDOWS SERVICES.

Test by booting your PC that it does what you want.
Izzy

Postby Etdashou » 23. October 2009 16:05

Ok.

I have version 1.6.6.... And I see the last version is 1.7.2.

In 1.6.6 Mercury Services is not available. I don't even have the file you are talking about.
However in 1.7.2 it is. I have installed this version on another computer and everything is there as you said.
However I don't want to loose anything if I update....

What is the best way to go from 1.6.6 to 1.7.2?
I see only upgrade package available from 1.6.6 to 1.6.7, then 1.6.7 to 1.6.8...

So do I need to upgadre like 10 times before I go to 1.7.2 or I can upgrade more easily to the last version?

Thanks a lot
Etdashou

Postby Izzy » 24. October 2009 00:01

Etdashou wrote:So do I need to upgadre like 10 times before I go to 1.7.2 or I can upgrade more easily to the last version?
See below a method I posted some time back that may give you some ideas to make it easier to use the new XAMPP version - but be aware that 1.7.2 uses php 5.3 which may not be compatible with some older php script versions, in which case only upgrade to 1.7.1 which still uses php 5.2 until the script's authors have caught up.

You will need to uninstall your older XAMPP version, but no big deal if you follow one or two simple instructions on the XAMPP Home Page but watch out for the author's translation errors.

Make a backup copy of all your own files you wish to keep but put them in to another location - not in the xampp folder, as part of the un-installation procedure is to delete in full the old xampp version folder.

(TIP - I usually just drag the xampp folder holding down the Ctrl key, which simply makes a Copy of xampp directory, then I install the new version, and when I have copied over my own files, sorted out any configuration file edits and the new version is working without error, I can then delete this Copy of xampp folder).

Good luck with your upgrade and please do read the XAMPP for Windows Home page and the FAQ linked from that home page - well worth the time taken, as it has some very useful tips and information.
Izzy

Postby Etdashou » 26. October 2009 19:00

Ok thank you sir for the fast and clear response.

I will keep this thread if I have any questions while upgrading (and also about mercury mail if I have any).

If all is ok, I will "close" this topic I suppose and mark it as SOLVED.
Etdashou

Postby Etdashou » 11. November 2009 20:47

By installing the latest version of Xampp (1.7.2) I was able to see Mercury as a Service.

PRoblem solved.
Etdashou

Return to XAMPP for Windows