Can't start MySql

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't start MySql

Postby Lizmint » 23. October 2009 19:54

I've just installed XAMPP and can't start MySql from the Control Panel. I'm not sure but I think it may be because I previously installed MySql, Apache and PHP separately, couldn't get them to work together, so tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. I've never got it sorted, and I'm not sure if MySql has been properly uninstalled, although I've posted in the MySql forums and followed instructions there. I've been struggling with this problem for months and am just about tearing my hair out with it. I'd gladly pay someone to sort it for me, but wouldn't know who to ask. I'm a complete newbie, trying to learn but can't get past the installation process! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Liz
Lizmint

Re: Can't start MySql

Postby Izzy » 23. October 2009 23:13

This could mean that you have some residue left in the registry from your past installations of MySQL.

First in your XAMPP Control Panel remove the tick in the Svc box, if there is one, next to MySQL

Then try this:
Click on start in the Task Bar.

Click on Run...

Type sc delete mysql in the text box

Click OK.

After it closes, which may close very quickly, try again to start XAMPP's MySQL.
Izzy

Re: Can't start MySql

Postby Lizmint » 24. October 2009 08:28

Thank you Izzy for your reply. I followed your instructions, got the reply '[SC] Open Service FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service' so I presume it must have already been removed. Anyhow, when I tried to run Mysql again it worked! I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but thanks. You've no idea how long I've spent trying to sort this problem!

Liz
Lizmint

Return to XAMPP for Windows