Mysql won't run!

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mysql won't run!

Postby GabrielSyme » 12. October 2009 15:17

I am getting rather frustrated with this one. My install of XAMPP has been running great, but now Mysql won't start. I didn't want to wipe out all the customizations I had done, but I finally installed the latest version of XAMPP, and it is still giving me the same problem. I think this may have started after I upgraded to Snow Leopard, but I am not sure. Here is what the error log for mysql says:
Code: Select all
091012 10:05:00 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql
091012 10:05:01 [Warning] option 'thread_stack': unsigned value 65536 adjusted to 131072
091012 10:05:01 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/ is case insensitive
091012 10:05:01 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/plugin.frm' (errno: 13)
091012 10:05:01 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.
091012 10:05:01  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
091012 10:05:01 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/Sargent.local.pid ended

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
GabrielSyme

Re: Mysql won't run!

Postby caltuna » 13. October 2009 07:58

go to a terminal window and try:

chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp

You may have to use

sudo chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp in which case enter your admin password when asked.

See if that fixes the problem.

Al
caltuna

Postby Lawson » 13. October 2009 18:31

Wild guess here, but I had similar problem with PHP as I recall. Turns out another program was already running PHP in the background. I went to activity monitor and filtered out all but the PHP and there was the problem. I checked the source of the PHP program and it was some little used product that I didn't require, so I force quit the application and then was able to go back to XAMPP and start up fine. I can't recall if it was MySQL, PHP, that wouldn't run, but I did get a message that told me that only one could run at a time. Doesn't sound like you are getting the same message.

You might also try Joomla support. They suggest using XAMPP, so there may be some answer for you there.
Lawson

Postby ljgww » 22. October 2009 13:25

go to a terminal window and try:

chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp

You may have to use

sudo chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp in which case enter your admin password when asked.

See if that fixes the problem.

it was in enough for me, from terminal, to:

cd /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var
chmod 757 mysql

from other forums I got hints that socket problem happens because of access rights. It is not very clear from documentation under which user/group rights 'XAMPP Control.app" will start mysql or apache. This could be a bit better documented. Otherwise - love XAMPP works like charm.
ljgww

Postby GabrielSyme » 26. October 2009 13:15

It worked for me to change the permissions. Thanks for the help. I just wish XAMPP had an easy way to upgrade. I have to set up all my customizations all over again and install all my Pear modules. Oh well.
GabrielSyme

Return to XAMPP for macOS