Apache won't start

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache won't start

Postby sheenine » 30. September 2009 12:20

I have this unusual problem.

whenever I try to start or run the Apache from the xampp control panel, the Apache will only run for a few seconds and then the 'running' notification on the side is gone. Compared to the Mysql, which is easier to run, with just one click.

I did try re-installing it. Changing from xampp 1.6.87 to 1.7.2. but it still doesn't solve the problem.

Help me please, I need this for my project.

Thank you so much.... 8)
sheenine

Re: Apache won't start

Postby pcman » 30. September 2009 16:58

you can click with the right mouse button on xampp-control.exe and under compability you can change the modus to windows98 and windows me. After a restart from xampp control it runs. Otherwise change also skype port address with skype program and restart skype.
pcman

Postby kaheidt » 30. September 2009 20:02

Does the path that you're installing to have a number at the beginning of any of the folders? You can check the logs in "/xampp/apache/logs/error.log" to see if there's anything wrong. That's how I found out that installing xampp to be located at "C:\1temp\KH\xampp" caused a problem because The "\1" gets replaced with the first variable. So the php path was like "C:\\php\temp\KH\xampp\php\" or something crazy like that. I'm in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling to a new location, but I was having the same issue as you.
kaheidt

Postby Izzy » 30. September 2009 23:10

sheenine wrote:...the Apache will only run for a few seconds and then the 'running' notification on the side is gone.
Try starting Apache with the apache_start.bat file as it will give feedback as to why it will not start.

The alternative to using the bat file can only be pure guess work.
Izzy

Postby xagosto » 02. October 2009 06:09

same problem error code
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down

ANY HELP HERE? :?:
xagosto

Postby Izzy » 02. October 2009 07:00

xagosto wrote:ANY HELP HERE? :?:
No need to shout.

You have another server running on the ports that Apache uses.

Click on Port Check in the XAMPP Control Panel and see what it is, then stop that server so Apache can start.

BTW this is a common fault with Skype and or IIS that has been addressed a thousand times in this forum.
Izzy

Re: Apache won't start - Solution

Postby Golgar_2000 » 02. October 2009 07:13

Hi, I Believe I Have A Solution.
I Have Always Manually Gone & Downloaded, Installed & Configured All The Separate Programs, Apache, PHP, etc. Never Had A Problem I Couldn't Fix Or Find A Solution For, Anyway, I Have Just Downloaded & Installed XAMPP 1.7.2 Also The Tomcat Add-on. Now Everything Was Fine First Run All Services Ran Fine.

Apache
MySql
FileZilla
Mercury &
Tomcat.

The Problem Started After I Restarted My Computer. No Apache? It Says It Started But Nothing, Hmmm Strange. All The Configuration Files Where Correct. So I Mucked Around For A While, Researched Everywhere & Even Tried To Install Apache Over The Apache Directory In XAMPP. Still Nothing. So I Started Again. Uninstall, Re-Install. Hey Apache Is Working Again. This Time No Restart. So I Just Clicked The Stop Apache Button, All Good. Ok Start Apache, NOTHING AGAIN. Sound Familiar?

Now Is Not The Time To Scream, It Has Already Told You The Problem. Apache. Very Simple, Go & Check Out The Error Log (Open With Notepad) The Log Files Are Located Here

" \xampp\apache\logs

Go To The Bottom Of The Log File & You Will See The Date, Time & Status. I Found That A File Was Missing Or Could Not Be Located. The Problem Was Related To Tomcat Which Stopped Apache From Starting.

"mod_jk.so" Was Missing From " \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\

So I Found A Copy Of "mod_jk.so" Located In " \xampp\apache\modules

So Very Simple. I Copied "mod_jk.so" From “ \xampp\apache\modules To “ \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\

Clicked The Start Apache Button & TADA Apache Is Working Again.

Now If A Different File Is Missing Try Searching Your Computer For It & If You Don’t Have It Download The ZIP File From Apache.org & You Should Find It In There.

In Conclusion If Apache Won't Start Or Won't Stay On Check You Log Files It Will Tell You The Problem. I Hope This Has Helped.
Golgar_2000

Postby Izzy » 02. October 2009 07:43

Golgar_2000 wrote:"mod_jk.so" Was Missing From " \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\
You must have installed the Tomcat addon incorrectly as there is no such path when installed correctly and Tomcat will find the module in it's correct location - xampp\apache\modules\ - so there is no need for your so called fix in the first place had you installed the addon as per the readme-addon-tomcat.txt file.

BTW no need to multiple cross post with your incorrect solutions.
Izzy

Postby dk01 » 05. January 2010 03:22

I actually just followed Golgar_2000's solution and it worked properly. The problem only occurs when you have a portable install and try to install the tomcat add-on. Copying the module manually fixes it. Thanks to him. Sorry to see other people bashing his solution just because they aren't having the issue.
dk01

Postby jk123 » 07. January 2010 22:58

Subject: Apache won't start

xagosto wrote:same problem error code
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down

ANY HELP HERE? :?:

//////////////////////////////////////////
This might help prior to xampp 1.7.3:

1. open /xampp/apache_start.bat.
replace with (the following copied from xampp1.7.3):
@ECHO OFF & SETLOCAL
PUSHD %~dp0

ECHO Now we start Apache
xampp_cli.exe start apache

POPD
PAUSE

2.open /xampp/apache_stop.bat.
replace with
@ECHO OFF & SETLOCAL
PUSHD %~dp0

ECHO Now we stop Apache
xampp_cli.exe stop apache

POPD
PAUSE

Let's look at the original apache_start.bat:
@echo off
echo Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden
echo Bitte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen
echo Please close this command only for Shutdown
echo Apache 2 is starting ...

apache\bin\httpd.exe

if errorlevel 255 goto finish
if errorlevel 1 goto error
goto finish

:error
echo.
echo Apache konnte nicht gestartet werden
echo Apache could not be started
pause

:finish

I guessed that the problem caused by calling
apache\bin\httpd.exe
instead of start the service.
xampp_cli.exe start apache

so when the xampp control manager started,
one apache instance has been running. And then Windows
started the Apache Service. The result is
only one usage of each socket address permitted.

Wish this could help! :)
jk123

Postby falux » 04. June 2010 10:05

For me it was Skype, again. Of all available ports, they need to co-use 80 by default.
falux

Return to XAMPP for Windows