Apache don't work?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache don't work?

Postby hanHmaas » 23. September 2009 18:35

Hello,
I recently re-installed Win Vista Ultim. and updated SP2. I installed XAMPP 1.7.2 and now Apache don't work. In the Xampp control panel I hit START, the green Running shows up for a few seconds an then turns to START again. Before the re-installation I had no problems.
After reading on the forum I removed (also in the registry) all remains of Apache etc. ( I also have the same problem with JSas, Wamp, Movanp). I disabled IIS and all the parts of it.
But still Apache don't work.
What more can I do?
I feel rather desperate.
I have to work on my Joomla projects on my local computer before I publish them.
Every suggestion will be highly appreciated!
Han
hanHmaas

Re: Apache don't work?

Postby Wiedmann » 23. September 2009 19:15

What more can I do?

Read the "error.log".
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby hanHmaas » 23. September 2009 21:23

Thank You Wiedmann.
But i lost my confidence and patience. Removed ver 1.7.2 and did a fresh install of ver. 1.7.1. Smooth and easy. Now I can continue my work on the Joomla jobs.

If You like/want I can re-install ver 1.7.2 (any Apache conflicts to expect?) and post the error-log here. Just let me know.

Han
hanHmaas

Postby Kip » 25. September 2009 11:49

I read in another post that Joomla does not work with PHP 5.3, so you have done the correct thing by returning to xampp 1.7.1
Kip

Re: Apache don't work? - Solution

Postby Golgar_2000 » 02. October 2009 07:28

Hi, I Believe I Have A Solution.
I Have Always Manually Gone & Downloaded, Installed & Configured All The Separate Programs, Apache, PHP, etc. Never Had A Problem I Couldn't Fix Or Find A Solution For, Anyway, I Have Just Downloaded & Installed XAMPP 1.7.2 Also The Tomcat Add-on. Now Everything Was Fine First Run All Services Ran Fine.

Apache
MySql
FileZilla
Mercury &
Tomcat.

The Problem Started After I Restarted My Computer. No Apache? It Says It Started But Nothing, Hmmm Strange. All The Configuration Files Where Correct. So I Mucked Around For A While, Researched Everywhere & Even Tried To Install Apache Over The Apache Directory In XAMPP. Still Nothing. So I Started Again. Uninstall, Re-Install. Hey Apache Is Working Again. This Time No Restart. So I Just Clicked The Stop Apache Button, All Good. Ok Start Apache, NOTHING AGAIN. Sound Familiar?

Now Is Not The Time To Scream, It Has Already Told You The Problem. Apache. Very Simple, Go & Check Out The Error Log (Open With Notepad) The Log Files Are Located Here

" \xampp\apache\logs

Go To The Bottom Of The Log File & You Will See The Date, Time & Status. I Found That A File Was Missing Or Could Not Be Located. The Problem Was Related To Tomcat Which Stopped Apache From Starting.

"mod_jk.so" Was Missing From " \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\

So I Found A Copy Of "mod_jk.so" Located In " \xampp\apache\modules

So Very Simple. I Copied "mod_jk.so" From “ \xampp\apache\modules To “ \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\

Clicked The Start Apache Button & TADA Apache Is Working Again.

Now If A Different File Is Missing Try Searching Your Computer For It & If You Don’t Have It Download The ZIP File From Apache.org & You Should Find It In There.

In Conclusion If Apache Won't Start Or Won't Stay On Check You Log Files It Will Tell You The Problem. I Hope This Has Helped.
Golgar_2000

Postby Izzy » 02. October 2009 08:22

Golgar_2000 wrote:"mod_jk.so" Was Missing From " \xampp\tomcat\Server\xampp\apache\modules\
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=149962#p149962
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows