Windws Firewall not letting MySQL through

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Windws Firewall not letting MySQL through

Postby lorscara » 03. September 2009 17:09

xampp 1.7.2
WINDOWS XP SP3
Firewall Config
* port 3306 TCP is allowed both direrctions
* Mysqld.exe has ben configured as allowed in the firewall
With Windows Firewall running, I can connect to the Apache server on the local host, but phpmyadmin and sample applications can not connet to MySQL.
With Windows Firewall disabled, I can connect with MySQL via sample applications and phpmyadin
Are there other ports that should be opened, or applicatios that should be allowe?
Has any one see this behavior elsewhere, and have a work arround?

Thank you
LorScara
lorscara

Re: Windws Firewall not letting MySQL through

Postby Izzy » 03. September 2009 17:47

Found these 2 links that may help as I have no idea what may be your problem - have you tried a reboot after editing your firewall?

Windows XP Firewall Settings

Firewall: How to Allow Application to Access Database at Database Server
Izzy

Postby lorscara » 04. September 2009 03:23

Neither of thoes links gavve me information that I already had, Yes i have rebooted (multiple times)

Looking at the firewall logs, I am seeing the following
The following request was blocked:
Full Application Path: Unknown
Version: Unknown
Local Computer: 127.0.0.1:3581
127.0.0.1:3306
Protocol Name: TCP
Protocol Number: 6
Traffic Direction: Outbound

Why am I seeing two ports listed? looking at several blocked requests, I see that 3306 is alwayse the second port listed, and the first portt listed is never the same, is thhis expected behavior?

Thank you
LorScara
lorscara

Postby Izzy » 04. September 2009 05:07

lorscara wrote:With Windows Firewall running, I can connect to the Apache server on the local host, but phpmyadmin and sample applications can not connet to MySQL.
With Windows Firewall disabled, I can connect with MySQL via sample applications and phpmyadin
So this issue has nothing to do in or with XAMPP but some effort in learning all about your firewall is called for.

I know nothing about a Windows so called 'firewall' as I found a real one, Comodo and downloaded and installed the free version and it works like a charm on both incoming and outgoing network connections.

BTW this forum is for XAMPP for Windows issues and not for Windows Firewall misconfiguration issues.
Izzy

Postby Wiedmann » 04. September 2009 09:56

is thhis expected behavior?

Yes.

Why am I seeing two ports listed?

A network client application is using a random free local port for the connection to the port a network server application is listening on. E.g. if you connect with your browser to a webserver on port 80, the source port your browser is using is always something else.

Local Computer: 127.0.0.1:3581 127.0.0.1:3306

That's the same. In this case the MySQL client (Apache/PHP/phpMyAdmin) is using the free local port 3581 to connect to the port 3306 the MySQL server is listening on. And the connection is made from the ip 127.0.0.1 to the ip 127.0.0.1.

Traffic Direction: Outbound

BTW: Blocking traffic from/to localhost is a little bit overkill. Not?But as Izzy said. The Windows firewall is off topic here.
(Even it's the only firewall I'm using. Especially it's one of the few, which can handle IPv6 correctly.)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows