security for xampp

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

security for xampp

Postby jerms » 25. July 2009 06:12

I am new with xampp for mac os x, which is quite different compared to xampp for windows. My problem is regarding the security options for mac. I used the terminal to proceed to /applications/xampp/xamppfiles/xampp security, but it doesn't show any interactive program where i can set the password for xampp. It just reminds me to start xampp as a root. Do i have to set permissions from the disk utility? Any help that you can extend will be of much great help for me as I am just starting with xampp for mac. Thanks a lot and God bless.
jerms

Re: security for xampp

Postby caltuna » 25. July 2009 16:05

I guess my question is: why do you want more security than is already built in? Currently you need the admin (root) password to start Apache or MyQSL and to stop it (after a certain time period... not sure what that is... a few minutes I believe.) Are you planning to open your Mac up to the Internet and run a server (assuming you have a static IP?) If you are, I'd caution against it. There is no way you will want to go through all the work to "lock down" your "server" that a good web host company would do for you. XAMPP was designed as a local "tool" to run and test html and php as well as MySQL (which these days is most often accessed via code running on a web server (Java, PHP, Ruby, etc.) as opposed to a native desktop program (C#, Python, etc.) The huge majority of folks running web servers and database servers (which is what MySQL is) don't need a lot of security... and probably don't want it since it is for local use... mostly development work.

Al
http://www.insurancesolutions123.com
caltuna

Postby MegaChriz » 25. July 2009 23:01

@caltuna
Maybe jerms want to get more security because the xampp-page security.php complains about an unsafe status: "the red marked points are definitively unsecure".

To start xampp as root in the Terminal, type
Code: Select all
sudo su
and type the password of the administrator account of your Mac (you don't see an inidication that your typing you're password). Then you've been logged in as root in the Terminal and you can start the xampp security program.

Note:
Be careful with other commands in the Terminal if you've been logged in as root. 'root' has all privileges, so if you don't know what you're doing, you can totally make a mess of your system.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby jerms » 27. July 2009 08:26

Thanks caltuna and Mega Chriz, sorry for the late reply. It did help me regarding your reply. Thanks and God bless.
jerms

Postby jRod » 16. August 2009 12:11

Hi guys,

As MegaChris says I too"want to get more security because the xampp-page security.php complains about an unsafe status: "the red marked points are definitively unsecure".

However, once I've typed in my password in the security program accessed through the terminal. I get

/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles//share/xampp/xampplib: line 136: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles//share/lampp/crypt: No such file or directory
cp: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles//phpsqliteadmin/.htaccess: No such file or directory
chmod: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles//phpsqliteadmin/.htaccess: No such file or directory
XAMPP: Password protection active. Please use 'xampp' as user name!

I then try to access my web page I am prompted for my username and password I use xampp and the password I set and It does not work... disaster?

any help is much appreciated.
jRod

Postby mariusvw » 16. August 2009 18:47

I started a thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36679&p=147199

Maybe we can work a good solution which is cross-OS compatible?
Marius van Witzenburg
http://mariusvw.com
mariusvw

Postby asdfasdf » 22. August 2009 18:43

I used terminal to type sudo su, and I entered my password. now it says sh-3.2# what does that mean
asdfasdf

Postby jinx2162k » 27. August 2009 01:54

sudo su doesnt work for me either same thing guy above me gets? also xamppsecurity.php is nowhere to be found i need this password just so that i can install a wordpress theme!
jinx2162k

Postby MegaChriz » 28. August 2009 14:34

Which XAMPP version are you using?

With XAMPP for Mac v1.7.2 there were some problems with the XAMPP security program. Most of them were fixed in the latest version: XAMPP for Mac v1.7.2a.

To start XAMPP security
1. In the Terminal, type:
sudo su

2. Type the password of your administrator account of the Mac (you don't see an inidication that your typing you're password).

You are now logged in as root. (I'm not sure what sh-3.2# exactly means, but I suppose it means something like shell version 3.2. Anyway, you are logged in as root now and you have all privileges.)

3. Type:
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security
This will start the security program in the Terminal. You are asked a couple of questions and you are able to set some passwords (for example for MySQL).
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS