Pathing Problem for include files

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Pathing Problem for include files

Postby dcochrane » 25. August 2009 13:22

Hi,

I hope somebody can help a novice in relation to some issues with installing xampp on a Mac.

I recently installed xampp on a mac OS X machine and it seemed a simple process. However I moved some folders into the /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs. I then tried to open the file from the browser using localhost/folder_name/index.php. The page immediately loaded with the following error:

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/folder_name/index.php' (include_path='.:/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/lib/php:/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/lib/php/pear') in Unknown on line 0

The files I was attempting to open are exact copies of a programme which is on my webserver (hosted somewhere else). I don't really know is going on here so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David
dcochrane

Re: Pathing Problem for include files

Postby Wiedmann » 25. August 2009 13:33

However I moved some folders into the /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs.

How?

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Well, the privileges for the files/folder is wrong.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Ron Newman » 25. August 2009 13:35

do this:

chmod -R a+r /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/folder_name
Ron Newman

Postby dcochrane » 25. August 2009 14:18

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the quick reply which worked.

Can you tell me exactly what that did with regards changing permissions. I thought permission culd be changed when getting info on the folder/files and then marking it to Read only or Read & Write

Thanks again.

David
dcochrane

Postby Ron Newman » 25. August 2009 14:43

The command means:

Starting at /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/folder_name , make all files readable by all users, recursing through all subdirectories.
Ron Newman

Postby dcochrane » 25. August 2009 14:49

Hi Ron,

Thanks again. As I said i'm a novice to all this so would appreciate just a little more clarification to get it stuck into the grey matter. Does any of this chmod alterations reflect in anyway on what I can set the permission to using the Get Info for a file/folder. The reason for asking is would making the alterations from the Get Info/Sharing panel be an alternative way of doing it?

David
dcochrane

Postby Ron Newman » 25. August 2009 15:07

This is a standard Unix command. I have no idea what Get Info does. I didn't even know it had an option to set permissions.
Ron Newman

Postby Nobbie » 26. August 2009 10:58

>Does any of this chmod alterations reflect in anyway on what I can set the permission to using the Get Info for a file/folder.

Yes of course. Your "Get Info" (which seems to be a dialog within a context menu of any file explorer?!) is based on the file systems features, same for the chmod command. More: if you can alter file permissions via "Get Info", this will be done by using "chmod" implicitely, as there is no other way of changing permissions.

The "Get Info" (whatever it is) is only a grafical user interface for the file attributes and the system functions for manipulating these attributes. "chmod" is a core feature of the Operating System (which is based on UNIX).
Nobbie

Postby MegaChriz » 26. August 2009 14:43

Ron Newman wrote:I have no idea what Get Info does

Nobbie wrote:Your "Get Info" (which seems to be a dialog within a context menu of any file explorer?!)

'Get Info' is a command in the menu File of the program Finder.

When you select a file in Finder, and you choose Get Info from the File-menu (or if you press COMMAND-i) then you get a window where you can examine and edit several settings of the file. In the window you can read what the type is of the file; how big the file is; where the file is stored; when it was created; when it was modified and some more. One of the things you can edit in this window are the file permissions.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS