After HD Volume Error (chkdsk) Cannot Start Apache

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

After HD Volume Error (chkdsk) Cannot Start Apache

Postby TDinDC » 24. August 2009 11:49

Running Windows XP Service Pack 2; Apache 2.2.1.12 /Win32
On boot this morning, chkdsk ran on the volume in which XAMPP is installed. It referenced an incorrect file entry that included the folder /apache. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to note the particular path and file. After booting into Windows, Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services shows Apache not running. Cannot start it from there. Cannot start it from command line httpd -k start.

My question is, how does one use the command line switch -e level? so I can see what is happening. I have tried -e crit (critical) together with -E /errlog.txt, but the latter file does not show any info on a missing file. Still, apache will not start.

More info (reason for edit). XAMPP Control Panel show MySQL is running. Could this keep Apache from running?
TDinDC

Re: After HD Volume Error (chkdsk) Cannot Start Apache

Postby Wiedmann » 24. August 2009 12:02

On boot this morning, chkdsk ran on the volume in which XAMPP is installed. It referenced an incorrect file entry that included the folder /apache. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to note the particular path and file.

chkdsk is logging its results to the Windows event log (Windows logs -> application -> Source "wininit").

BTW:
Something in the Apache "error.log"?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby TDinDC » 24. August 2009 17:38

Guten tag Wiedmann,

Thanks for your reply. I am very new to all of this. Only attempting to set up apache, MySQL, php, and phpmyadmin on my workstation so I won't have to publish changed web pages I'm developing to my website in order to see whether what I've done works. Apache worked fine yesterday. I had tried several times to install these 4 apps separately, but was frustrated at getting the config settings correct, so I uninstalled them yesterday and used the XAMPP package to install everything for me, using some online guidance about config settings and replacing a bad dll (apache2php.dll or something like that ?).

I've noticed that, evidently, XAMPP does not make any registry entries for any of these applications in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. Previously, when I installed them separately, there were such. And previously, there was an apache icon in systray, and always an instance of apache running on boot.

I checked the only log file in %windir% that corresponds to the time the error occurred and there is no reference to any of the following terms: 'chkdsk', 'apache', or even to the HD partition on which I installed XAMPP. I also checked Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and found entries for apache and MySQL. Both are set to run automatically, and MySQL is started but apache is not.

As to the error.log file, it had a problem with a duplicate directive, which I have since commented out:
Syntax error on line 39 of K:/xampp/apache/conf/extra/httpd-xampp.conf:
Only first PHPINIDir directive honored per configuration tree - subsequent ones ignored
[Mon Aug 24 05:30:21 2009] [warn] module php5_module is already loaded, skipping

Subsequently, when I tried to start apache, the following was logged:
[Mon Aug 24 11:31:57 2009] [warn] module php5_module is already loaded, skipping
Starting the Apache2.2 service
The Apache2.2 service is running.
module php5_module is already loaded, skipping
[Mon Aug 24 11:31:59 2009] [warn] module php5_module is already loaded, skipping
[Mon Aug 24 11:31:59 2009] [warn] pid file K:/xampp/apache/logs/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
[Mon Aug 24 11:31:59 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Mon Aug 24 11:31:59 2009] [notice] Digest: done

So, at this point, I am at a loss as to how to proceed.
TDinDC

Postby Wiedmann » 24. August 2009 17:54

I checked the only log file in %windir% that corresponds to the time the error occurred and there is no reference to any of the following terms: 'chkdsk', 'apache', or even to the HD partition on which I installed XAMPP.

You remember? "chkdsk" is not logging to a file. It's logging to the Windows event log.

and used the XAMPP package to install everything for me, using some online guidance about config settings and replacing a bad dll (apache2php.dll or something like that ?).

According to your Apache version (2.2.12), you are trying to install XAMPP 1.7.2?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby TDinDC » 24. August 2009 22:39

Hello again,

I think I'm using the correct version: xampp-win32-1.7.2.exe

I did check all the Event Logs in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer plus the logs under > Component Services. No record anywhere of any chkdsk activity. Nor are there any files like FILE0001.CHK on the partition.

Do any of the apache error.log entries mean anything to you? I don't see any reference to a missing or corrupted file, but having observed the activity during the fateful boot, I believe that that must be the reason apache won't start.

Just to check that there is still a problem, I ran httpd -k start again from the command line and got an error dialog:

httpd.exe - Application error
The exception Privileged instruction.
(0xc0000096) occurred in the application at location 0x011e3b85,

Click on OK to terminate ...
TDinDC

Postby Wiedmann » 24. August 2009 23:01

I did check all the Event Logs in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer plus the logs under > Component Services. No record anywhere of any chkdsk activity.

What exactly have you searched for in the event viewer? You remember my post above?
(BTW: You know how this tool is working and how to use it, or is it just try and error? --> without an entry in this log, there was no chkdsk run at boot time!)

I think I'm using the correct version: xampp-win32-1.7.2.exe

Your online guidance is bad and I think you have messed up the config (by yourself) now.

I guess you should start over and:
- stop running XAMPP programs
- delete the existing Wndows services
- delete the existing XAMPP directory
- install XAMPP again with xampp-win32-1.7.2.exe (just use the defaults in the setup script (hit return))
- start the XAMPP Control Panel
- start Apache & MySQL
- access the demopage with "http://localhost/" and see what happens.

And only if this all is working, you can learn to configure the servers (and of course configure them yourself).

And if something of the above is not working, came back and report the problem.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows