XAMPP on home based network server?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP on home based network server?

Postby opm595 » 23. July 2009 01:24

Hi Guys,
I've been using XAMPP/LAMP for a little while now on both Linux and MS platforms without a problem. However, I've just hooked up a new D-Link DNS-323 Network Storage Enclosure, running 2 x 1TB HDD with RAID 1, and connected to my home network via a dedicated IP address. So, I'm just wondering if it is at all possible to install XAMPP on this unit (specs): http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?S ... 90&PID=287
and be able to access a single version of XAMPP over my home network.

My network is comprised of 7 machines running Linux Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian 5.0 and 1 running XP, and 1 running Vista.
Any assistance, tips or tricks, much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
opm595

Re: XAMPP on home based network server?

Postby Wiedmann » 23. July 2009 07:38

So, I'm just wondering if it is at all possible to install XAMPP on this unit (specs)

No.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby dmphotography » 14. August 2009 19:25

One thing you could consider doing is installing XAMPP on one of your 7 computers and then accessing that computer via the LAN IP for it, which should be something like 192.168.1.100.
Then on the other 6 computers, you would just have to go to that one computer's LAN IP and have access to your XAMPP server.

The item you listed won't work because it's just a storage drive, not an actual computer, which is required to run a server.

I've got a few articles that may help you with this: http://www.myownserver.info/home/step-4-additonal-settings.html

Those are under my Windows section, but most of them should be the same for Linux as well.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby opm595 » 14. August 2009 22:03

Many thanks for the reply. I guess I was more so wondering if there was some way of running something like a virtual O/S on my storage devise that would allow XAMPP to run (I think it's called wishful thinking :) ). Anyway it became obviously clear that this was not going to happen, so I have actually acquired a good pre-owned IMB server, and ran it up with Debian Linux (old dinosaur machine, but works a treat). From there I had XAMPP working in a jiffy.
But, once again, many thanks for the advice and info' - much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob
opm595

Postby dmphotography » 14. August 2009 22:13

No problem Rob.

I did want to add, just so you understand why it won't run on your network storage drives . . .

In order for a "virtual" server to work, it still requires physical processing hardware like any other computer. It is a software program that must be ran under an operating system, so therefore whatever you plan to install and run it on has to be an actual computer capable of processing it's data. Your network storage drives are nothing more than just that: hard drives. It may have a chip with a tiny bit of software on it to make it function in the network, but it doesn't run an operating system capable of other programs.

Understanding that Virtual doesn't mean it's hardware-exempt is the key. It means it's mostly isolated from the computer's main operating system, which protects the main operating system from any harmful attacks, crashes, errors, etc. that occurs inside the virtual environment because the virtual environment is self-contained. It also allows you to run cross-platform software, meaning running Linux virtually on a Windows PC, etc.

I hope that clarifies it, because I didn't understand it at first myself about a year ago.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Linux