Permissions with xampp on mac osx

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Permissions with xampp on mac osx

Postby ct_roy » 30. June 2009 21:49

Hey all,

been playing with xampp on the mac for a few weeks now and thought I'd share 1 big niggly issue which I came up against and how I got around it.

If there is a better solution out there I'd love to know about it!

Most apps I'm deploying in xampp are php/mysql apps which require the ability to write to one or multiple files.

By default when I create or copy a folder into the htdocs folder on the xampp mac folder - permissions are read only. This seems to be related to the user which xampp runs under on the mac.

If I have a folder /htdocs/mywebsite - I right click on mywebsite and select "Get Info"

under "Sharing and Permissions" I then click the padlock and change the permissions of all users to "Read and Write"

Most importantly, I then click the little settings icon next to the +/- icons and select "Apply to enclosed items"

This then obviously acts similar to chmod -R on linux and recursively applies write permissions to all items under "mywebsite"

This is a simple, quick and dirty solution I've found for fixing my permissions issues.

Really interested to know if there is some set protocol for how I should be doing this.

thanks,

Ed
ct_roy

Re: Permissions with xampp on mac osx

Postby MegaChriz » 01. July 2009 11:07

This is exactly how I do it. I also change the permissions with using Get Info and apply on enclosed items. In only change permissions for folders where the webserver needs write-permissions. I even pay attention to this issue in my web-applications. When I start a web-application and there appears a error, most likely the first error is 'I cannot write to the folder'.

I have no simpler solution yet. I know it's possible to change permissions using the Terminal and that it is possible to use PHP for changing file permissions (for changing file permissions I only use PHP if I let PHP create a file).
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby caltuna » 01. July 2009 15:23

You can go into terminal and do:

chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp/htdocs/[your folder]

(I use 777 as I don't have a security issue on my desktop, but you might want to use something else)

If you have thousands of (PHP) files (like I have with SugarCRM) it is much faster than using GetInfo recursive.
caltuna

Postby jennpal » 02. August 2009 01:30

You are MY HERO! I am a new Joomla user, and I swear to God, I have been on at least 50 forum threads today trying to figure out how to fix this problem. Incidentally, it's one of those deals where you spend SO much time trying to find the answer that you're sort of disgusted when you finally find an answer and it turns out to be as easy as this was.

Nonetheless, THANK YOU!
jennpal

Postby Jules242 » 08. August 2009 20:26

Hey! Thanks for the tip. I have one issue however.

While "chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp/htdocs/[your folder]" made most of my joomla directories writeable, I'm left with two that won't change:

I tried going back to the terminal and chmod'ing those specific folders, even creating new folders with the same names and chmod'ing, but no luck!

Do you have any idea why this is happening? I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks :)
Jules242

Postby Wiedmann » 08. August 2009 21:31

I tried going back to the terminal and chmod'ing those specific folders,

What's the name of these specific folders?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby MegaChriz » 09. August 2009 00:39

@Jules242
I think the paths to the Log directory and the Temp directory are set incorrect. They are not linking to /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/pannoram/ (etc.).
1. In Joomla, go to the administration (log in as administrator).
2. Go to Global Configuration.
3. By System -> System settings, check if 'Path to Log folder' is set correct (it must be start with /Applications/XAMPP/ (etc.)).
4. By Server -> Server settings, check if 'Path to Temp-folder' is set correct (this must also start with /Applications/XAMPP/).
MegaChriz

Postby Jules242 » 09. August 2009 01:17

@Wiedmann, I meant the logs/tmp folders

@MegaChriz, that did the trick! You're awesome :) I wouldn't have thought of this; it was set to "pannoram/tmp", and I thought that it wouldn't need the entire directory tree starting from /Applications/ (considering that "pannoram" is the joomla directory).

Either way, I learned something new :) Thank you!
Jules242

Postby MegaChriz » 10. August 2009 07:38

@Jules242
I just looked on how the paths were set in my Joomla installation :)
MegaChriz

Postby ralf.krause » 14. August 2009 18:14

It would be better to leave the fiel permissions as they were set from Joomla

In my Moodle4Mac package I set the owner of the files to nobody because nobody is the user of the web server in XAMPP
Code: Select all
sudo chown -R nobody:admin /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/moodle*
sudo chown -R nobody:admin /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/data/moodle*
sudo chown -R nobody:admin /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/moodle*

Ralf
Moodle4Mac with XAMPP - http://download.moodle.org/macosx
ralf.krause

Operating System: OS X 10.8.2

Postby LeberMac » 03. November 2011 21:47

On a Joomla & XAMPP install on Mac OS X 10.5.8, Ralf's permissions changes hint helped immensely.

The default install of Joomla did not allow additional extension installations, nor did it allow configuration.php to be written. Files that I modified or created in the Finder and moved into the XAMPP webfolder directory were unusable since they had been created by a different user (my normal OS X user login name) and not by the Apache user (nobody)

Assuming you are logged in as an Admin under OS X, launching the Terminal in OS X and using this line (You'll have to type in your OS X Password when Terminal prompts you for it):
Code: Select all
sudo chown -R nobody:admin /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles

Allowed me to continue operating normally, as if Apache owned the XAMPP folder. I can now change global configurations in Joomla, and I can upload new extensions/modules/components with the Joomla Extension Manager and test them out.

So perhaps this has solved my XAMPP permissions problem for now.
LeberMac

Operating System: OS X 10.5

Postby smithy1802 » 30. November 2011 02:47

under "Sharing and Permissions" I then click the padlock and change the permissions of all users to "Read and Write"

Most importantly, I then click the little settings icon next to the +/- icons and select "Apply to enclosed items"

When i select the permissions to "read and write" and then go to settings icon there is only the option to "revert". i have tried simply tried setting to "read and write" and closing the "get info" box but this does not work.

Can anyone help here please?
smithy1802

Operating System: Mac OS 10.7.2

Postby greathokage » 08. December 2011 09:09

How do i set permission on xampp? i know filezilla can easily change but watbout xampp?
greathokage

Operating System: mac

Postby edwardcolver222 » 04. January 2012 10:12

I just use filezilla, usually works fine to set permissions, or else the file manager in Joomla. there's also a firefox plugin that sometimes works great for changing permissions when all else fails, I can't remember its name right this second.
edwardcolver222

Operating System: os x

Postby Ricky_gr » 05. March 2012 06:47

Yes, the file manager in joomla is good too
Ricky_gr

Operating System: Linux

Return to XAMPP for macOS