Fresh installation but I need some DB from and old instal

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Fresh installation but I need some DB from and old instal

Postby notuo » 28. July 2009 02:31

Hi.

I had xampp running in my laptop since 2 years now and never updated nor upgraded anythin regarding xampp.
I finished the main project I had and now I just installed in another directory the current version (1.7.1)

I like to transfer some of the DB fromthe original installation to this new one but I cannot.

If I start mysql from the old directory, the new mysql is started instead of the old one.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your time,
notuo
notuo

XAMPP version: 7.4.16
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Fresh installation but I need some DB from and old instal

Postby notuo » 28. July 2009 16:25

In order to have this working is to rename the folders.

The xampp-old has to be xampp

and the xampp went to xampp-new

but if I try to run the xampp-new version doesn't start.

I review my "dos" set command and has nothing directly related with xampp
notuo

Postby Izzy » 29. July 2009 00:35

Notuo, It's a case of 'you can't start more than one version of XAMPP at the same time'.

Try this:

Very Important:
First make sure that all XAMPP components are stopped and any of the components installed as an NT service are uninstalled first - to be sure that the services are uninstalled run the C:\xampp\apache\apache_uninstalservice.bat and the C:\xampp\mysql\mysql_uninstallservice.bat files before renaming your old version of XAMPP and use the corresponding bat files in your new version folder of xampp to remove any components running as an NT service.

Restart your PC and check using the Windows Task Manager that no apache or mysql files are running processes,
(right click on the Task Bar and select Task Manager then click on the processes tab).

1. Rename your old XAMPP folder C:\xamppold

2. Run C:\xamppold\setup_xampp.bat file to set the renamed paths correctly.

3. Now rename your new XAMPP folder C:\xampp

4. In this new version, which you will be running from now on, run the C:\xampp\setup_xampp.bat file.

You should now be able to manually start and stop the old xampp version by running the C:\xamppold\xampp-control.exe file,
(create a shortcut for it on your desktop and name it Old Xampp).

You should also be able to start and stop the new version of XAMPP by running the C:\xampp\xampp-control.exe file
(create a shortcut for it on your desktop and name this one New XAMPP).

Now you should be able to have the best of both worlds, but remember only one version of XAMPP can be started at any time.

Also worth pointing out here is that your old MySQL databases are stored complete in the C:\xamppold\mysql\data folder with each having it's own database name as a folder, only need to copy over to your new XAMPP C:\xampp\mysql\data folder your own databases not any XAMPP system databases like cdcol, mysql,phpmyadmin etc.

After coping the databases, if that's your method now, then run the New XAMPP version's phpMyAdmin and see if the databases are present in the left column and if all is working as it should then you can delete your old XAMPP installation and simply use the new version from now on.

To save you having this hassle in future try and keep up with the XAMPP upgrades as it makes this process much simpler and much quicker - For the latest version notices, ApacheFriends is now on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/apachefriends

RSS feed of ApacheFriends's tweets:
http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/8356022.rss

I hope this helps as I have many XAMPP version installed and can select which version I need to start by simply selecting that version's Shortcut, mainly for troubleshooting issues on this forum.

Good luck.
Izzy

Postby notuo » 01. August 2009 21:15

Hi Izzy.

Thank you for your answer.

In short let me say:

I never ran 2 copies at the same time.

The procedure you stated didn't work for me. Maybe because my installation of the original was to old and how knows the real state of it. But never mind, You offered me the solution I needed regarding the DB from the old one to the new one. This worked fine.

Now of course I am going to upgrade when needed; I never did because the project was too delicate and I was also learning some things that I didn't want to jeopardize anything.

Also thanks for the rss. I have it now running.

Thanks again for all your advise,
notuo

Return to XAMPP for Windows