Recover deleted db?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Recover deleted db?

Postby mpif » 20. July 2009 04:44

I need you help although what I did is embarrassing. I already searched the forum but found no posts covering this issue.

I am using xampp to build and setup a wordpress blog and today I accidentally deleted the blog's database and I don't have a backup. Stupid me, I know.
Anyway, I am trying to figure out if there is a way to recover it. I figured since it's all local, it might be somewhere on my pc. Unfortunately it's not in the Recycle bin, that would have been easy. I downloaded a couple of file undelete/recover programs and had them scan the whole hard drive but it found nothing. I know that the db was stored in the xampp\mysql\data\[nameofdatabase] folder but I had no way of recovering the deleted folder!
Any advice please?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
mpif

Re: Recover deleted db?

Postby Wiedmann » 20. July 2009 06:51

I know that the db was stored in the xampp\mysql\data\[nameofdatabase] folder but I had no way of recovering the deleted folder!

So it's lost... Sorry.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby mpif » 20. July 2009 21:37

I guess it is. I did a deep scan with one undelete application (it was scanning my hard drive for a couple of hours and found nearly 50k deleted files!) but the folder was not found. I've already started building it all over again, I just lost a few hours of work.

However it still seems weird to me. I mean, the database was saved locally, it was in my hard drive in a specific folder. If I had deleted that folder from the windows explorer it would have appeared in the Recycle Bin. When I deleted it from phpMyAdmin it was completely gone, no traces left behind in the hard drive, not even when I tried to find any using those programs. Like it never existed. Any ideas on that? I'm just wandering. :)
mpif

Postby Wiedmann » 20. July 2009 22:44

Any ideas on that?

Sure. This "Recycle Bin" is a functionality of the Software Windows Explorer, not the Windows operating system.

Just delete something with another software then Explorer (or a software which is using the Explorer OCX), like "del" in the command shell (cmd.exe). It's also not in the "Recycle Bin".
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby mpif » 20. July 2009 23:50

You are right Wiedmann. I know that if you delete something using another program, it will not appear in the Recycle Bin but I expected to be able to recover it using some other undelete program. I had successfully recovered files that were not in the Recycle Bin using these kind of programs in the past and that is why I was hopping to do it this time too. Too bad it's not possible.

Thanks for your replys and your help.
mpif

Postby 6untur » 24. July 2009 07:47

if that on your local computer, use software undelated. but on server i dont know.
6untur

Return to XAMPP for Windows