Tray icon?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Tray icon?

Postby mech7 » 16. July 2006 23:13

Is there one for ubuntu like on windows?
mech7

Re: Tray icon?

Postby Dragen » 17. July 2009 01:42

Hi,
I'm aware that this is a very old post, but I can't find any information regarding it anywhere else. I have been searching for hours on Google, with nothing and this is the only post on this forum that I found regarding the tray icon :/
Is there a tray icon for the Linux version of XAMPP? or any way of creating one?
The Windows version has one, and so does WAMP for Windows.

I'm running Ubuntu, latest release.

Thanks,
Lee
Dragen

Postby Nobbie » 17. July 2009 23:57

Dragen wrote:Is there a tray icon for the Linux version of XAMPP?

An Icon for what??

Xampp is nothing - only an abbreviation for a software collection. Icons usually are displayed (on Linux), when a User is running a program in a certain Window Manager (like Gnome, KDE etc.).

Even in the Windows Environment there is neither an Icon for Apache, nor for MySQL, nor for PHP or any other component of Xampp. There is only one little (windows specific) dialog box, the "Xampp Control Box", which may be used to start Apache etc., and that Control Box has an Tray Icon while running.

So are you looking for a "Linux/Xampp Control Box" including an Tray Icon - or what are you looking for?
Nobbie

Postby Dragen » 18. July 2009 00:18

I'm pretty much hoping for a Linux version of the Windows tray icon, which is disp0layed whilst xampp is running. Where it allows the starting/re-starting of apache and the others. Gives access to the root folder and the apache/php logs and similar things.

I've been using WAMP on Windows and have found the tray icon very helpful. It appears that the only way of accessing any of those things in Linux is through the terminal. Just fought it'd be easier with a tray icon.
If there isn't one, would it be possible to make one? I'm sure if someone pointed me in the right direction I could figure it out, but I have no idea what language to right it in?

Any help would be appreciated. Or even advice on any ways of accessing xampp and checking it's settings, restarting the server etc easily.

thanks.
Dragen

Postby Nobbie » 18. July 2009 12:13

There is a Xampp Control Panel for Linux in /opt/lampp/share/xampp-control-panel. It looks like a mix of Bash and Python Script and I did never run it. I dont know whether its release candidat, or beta or alpha release or whatever.
Nobbie

Postby Dragen » 18. July 2009 14:29

Thanks, I had a look at it and it's exactly what I was looking for!
It has to be run as the root user, although the code for checking looks easy to bypass if I need to.

Also, when run through the terminal it seems to work perfectly, but throws up several errors:
Code: Select all
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 125: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 214: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 246: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 326: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 137: echo: write error: Broken pipe

And when I click the stop button:
Main stop button clicked
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 342: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 361: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 409: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 437: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/opt/lampp/lampp: line 352: echo: write error: Broken pipe
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "xampp-control-panel.py", line 260, in update_main_window
    self.main_window.set_interface()
  File "xampp-control-panel.py", line 137, in set_interface
    all_statuses = self.get_statuses()
  File "xampp-control-panel.py", line 126, in get_statuses
    raw_status = commands.getoutput(self.get_xampp_command("statusraw"))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/commands.py", line 46, in getoutput
    return getstatusoutput(cmd)[1]
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/commands.py", line 56, in getstatusoutput
    text = pipe.read()

I'm not sure what the problems refer to, but it still works okay.
The first line (125) on starting xampp is this:
      $de && echo "Starte XAMPP fuer Linux $version..." //line 24
      $de || echo "Starting XAMPP for Linux $version..." //line 25

/opt/lampp/share/lampp/nogroupcheck //line 27

I'm assuming this is Python, although not having used it, I can't see what the problem is?
If you have any ideas, I may have a go at sorting it.

Regards
Dragen

Postby Nobbie » 18. July 2009 15:38

>I'm assuming this is Python

No, it's shell syntax.

But you dont need to worry about the error messages, you may ignore those. The lampp-Start-Stop-Script usually writes some output to the console ("Xampp started" etc.), but this Control Dialog suppresses this output in a "rude" way, what causes the error message. It's not important for you, if everything else works ok you are done!
Nobbie

Postby Dragen » 18. July 2009 17:53

Okay, thanks.

I've tried creating a launcher in the menu for it, but can't get it to work exactly how I wished.
It needs to be run as root to access apache etc, by the looks of it, so I've tried various different techniques in the command section for running it:
sudo /opt/lampp/share/xampp-control-panel/xampp-control-panel
su -c /opt/lampp/share/xampp-control-panel/xampp-control-panel

But these only work if the type is 'Application in Terminal', so I can input my password.
Having only been using Linux for a few days, I don't know it inside out, but is there any way of going about this without the terminal? even bringing up the GUI password interface would be okay, like when trying to change system settings.
If not, is there some code I could insert into the XAMPP control panel to close the Terminal once the password is entered and the program has loaded?

Sorry, for being soi awkward!
Dragen

Postby Dragen » 18. July 2009 21:49

Okay, I've figured it out. I just needed to set the command as: gksudo /opt/lampp/share/xampp-control-panel/xampp-control-panel
Note using gksudo, rather than just sudo, which displays the authorisation gui.

Thanks for the help!
Dragen

Return to XAMPP for Linux